Lafayette Bans Medical Pot Testing Labs And Manufacturers

Robert Celt

Lawmakers have strengthened regulations prohibiting growing, testing and dispensing of medical marijuana in Lafayette, but have stopped short of stamping out delivery.

The City Council voted unanimously Monday to tighten its oversight of medical cannabis, whose cultivation and distribution via medical dispensaries is currently banned in Lafayette. The city has updated its municipal code to more broadly define cannabis uses, and banned pot manufacturers and testing labs.

The council is scheduled to formally adopt an ordinance spelling out the changes Feb. 8.

The decision follows a Planning Commission recommendation earlier this month against restricting mobile delivery, which city attorney Mala Subramanian had initially suggested as part of the city's update.

Some residents objected to the ban, arguing it's difficult for some medical cannabis users to travel to dispensaries. And planning commissioner Patricia Curtin cited a lack of complaints about delivery service as one reason she didn't support a ban.

"While I understand the city already bans marijuana dispensaries (which I support), I do not see that these reason(s) are the same for banning cannabis delivery," Curtin wrote in a letter to the commission.

According to the expanded rules, medical pot manufacturers can't do business in Lafayette, and laboratories that test cannabis and cannabis-related products aren't welcome either.

However, mobile delivery services that bring medical marijuana to customers doors will be allowed -- at least until the council decides to create guidelines regulating those businesses.

If approved, the future rules could include background checks of delivery drivers and other verifications.

"I would want to be able to have some safeguards in place," said Councilwoman Traci Reilly, who suggested the council monitor how the new rules play out.

Lafayette adopted regulations on medical marijuana cultivation and production in 2011, following a two-year moratorium on issuing permits and licenses allowing dispensaries. The city bans indoor and outdoor growing, and doesn't allow dispensaries that sell cannabis, edibles and other products to medical marijuana cardholders.

The updates come in response to new state legislation. The Medical Marijuana Regulation and Safety Act allows cities to regulate or restrict medical marijuana cultivation and distribution. If cities choose not to create their own rules, state regulations will take effect.

Cannabis-testing.jpg

News Moderator: Robert Celt 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Lafayette Bans Medical Pot Testing Labs And Manufacturers
Author: Jennifer Modenessi
Photo Credit: None found

Back
Top Bottom