Lake Orion Woman, 70, Gets Probation in Medical Pot Case

Jacob Bell

Pontiac, MI – A 70-year-old Lake Orion woman convicted of marijuana possession in a spinoff of raids of medical marijuana clinics last August was sentenced today in Oakland Circuit Court to 90 days probation and community service.

Barbara Agro, a former part-time dispatcher at the Lake Orion police department, also was fined and ordered not to take any controlled substances – including marijuana – unless she has a prescription.

Agro was facing up to four years in prison for the felony charge, stemming from statements she gave Oakland County Sheriff's deputies last August after raids at the Clinical Relief Clinic in Ferndale, where she worked as a receptionist and bookkeeper.

Judge Wendy Potts went far below the probation department's recommendation and an assistant prosecutor's request that Agro be placed on 12 months probation.

Besides assessing Agro with more than $600 in fines and court costs, Potts ordered that during the 90-day period, Agro must also perform 20 hours of community service at a charity or public service organization "for persons with debilitating medical conditions as defined by the medical marijuana act."

"I'm not happy to be here at all today, but I think as far as the judge's sentence goes, it was fair," said Agro, a medical marijuana card holder who eats marijuana for relief from knee pain.

"I have extreme arthritis in both knees and bone spurs in both (knees)," Agro told reporters outside the courtroom. "I'm allergic to aspirin so I can't take any aspirin products.

"I guess I will have to take something like Tylenol, which can affect your kidneys."

Agro was questioned by deputies during an August 25 raid at Clinical Relief. She told them she was a licensed medical marijuana card patient and caregiver and had marijuana plants at her Lake Orion home.

Deputies went to the unlocked home and found 19 plants growing in the basement. She was charged as being in violation of medical marijuana act, which requires growers to maintain a "closed facility."

Agro also is scheduled to go before Judge Daniel O'Brien on October 11 on charges on conspiracy to manufacture and deliver marijuana, a four-year felony, related to the Clinical Relief Clinic, which is owned and operated by her son.

news31.jpg

News Hawk- Jacob Ebel 420 MAGAZINE
Source: detnews.com
Author: Mike Martindale
Copyright: The Detroit News
Website: Lake Orion woman, 70, gets probation in medical pot case

Back
Top Bottom