Lambton Man Jailed For Not Seeking Approval To Self-Medicate With Marijuana

Truth Seeker

A man found with 142 grams (five ounces) of marijuana he was using for chronic pain relief has been sentenced to 45 days in jail.

William David Shipway, 43, of Lambton Shores pleaded guilty on Monday to the Dec. 1, 2012 charge of marijuana possession.

The OPP were responding to a threat complaint and were allowed to check the Lambton Shores house for possible home-security improvements.

Marijuana was found in a wood storage area, including a bag containing 142 grams of the drug. Ongoing chronic pain due to a back injury prompted Shipway's marijuana use but he had not requested government approval for medicinal use of the drug, said defence lawyer Robert McFadden.

"I didn't like the (prescribed) pain medication so I took it into my own hands. It (marijuana) was better on my head," said Shipway.

It was a significant amount of marijuana for one person and there were two prior attempts to deter Shipway through fines," said federal prosecutor Michael Robb.

Shipway's two prior drug convictions included a $4,000 fine in 2007 for possession of hashish for trafficking.

People can apply for medicinal use of marijuana but Shipway had not and a message needs to be sent there are consequences for drug possession, said Justice Ann McFadyen.

Shipway's jail time will be served on weekends and will be followed by a year's probation when Shipway cannot have drugs unless they are prescribed.

Rolling_Joint6.jpg

News Hawk- Truth Seeker 420 MAGAZINE ®
Source: theobserver.ca
Author: Neil Bowen

Back
Top Bottom