Laying Down The Law For 2016: Legislative Issues In Iowa

Robert Celt

Lawmakers once again will be faced with the proposition of adding clarity to the state's medical cannabis oil legislation. The Associated Press this year found the state has spent more than $100,000 creating and issuing registration cards to about 50 people, but it remains illegal to manufacture the oil in Iowa and federal law bars transport across state lines, essentially rendering the medical licenses useless.

Finkenauer said she would like to see the issue resolved for people who experience seizures.

"It's imperative for so many people, whether they're older people or younger people (who experience seizures)," she said. "I was frustrated about the non-movement on it last year, and given the current leadership in the House, I have my doubts about it this year."

Hein was cautious about crossing the federal government on the issue of marijuana.

"I firmly believe that if there are medical purposes, I'm more willing to figure out how to make it work, but I would prefer it all be done at the federal level," Hein said. "The (Food and Drug Administration) needs to take the lead on it."

Hein, however, said he also was looking at a different area where marijuana products could enter Iowa's economy. He said he has been approached to learn more about growing industrial hemp within the state.

"We're not talking about marijuana, We're talking about hemp and they use the oils. Some of the plastic products in car dashes are made using oil from this hemp. They're also using it for rope. There's a whole bunch of different things they're using (it for)," he said. "Legally, it can't be grown in the state of Iowa at this time."

cannabis-oil.jpg

News Moderator: Robert Celt 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Laying Down The Law For 2016: Legislative Issues In Iowa
Author: William Garbe
Photo Credit: None found

Back
Top Bottom