Legalized Marijuana Debated

Guam - Chris Halligan, who suffers from a rare genetic disorder that causes pain around his knees and joints, said he's happy a measure has finally been introduced to allow for the medicinal use of marijuana.

But Dr. Jan Bollinger, an orthopedic surgeon who would treat people with Halligan's condition, said he's not convinced medical marijuana is the answer for the chronic pain that afflicts many people with debilitating conditions.

The debate over the legalization of medical marijuana has been sparked by Sen. Rory Respicio's introduction of Bill 420 on Tuesday.

The measure, "The Compassionate Health Care Act of 2010," would allow licensed physicians to prescribe marijuana to qualified patients. It would also establish health-care centers that will grow, process and dispense cannabis by prescription only.

The measure aims to help people who suffer from debilitating, chronic and painful illnesses and conditions -- people like Halligan.

The 20-year-old University of Guam student said he's had to live with the chronic pain brought on by Nail-Patella syndrome, which is characterized by abnormalities of bone, joints, fingernails and kidneys.

The condition is commonly characterized by absent or under-developed kneecaps and thumbnails, and dislocation of the knee caps is common, according to the National Institute of Health website.

Simply walking is always painful, and any activity that's slightly more rigorous can be unbearable, Halligan said.

While he's been prescribed strong painkillers, he said he'd rather alleviate the pain with marijuana than pop pills.

Halligan said he's witnessed how a close relative became addicted to painkillers.

Marijuana, if closely regulated, can be more effective and as safe as a painkiller, Halligan said.

"I refuse to pump my body full of chemicals that I cannot even pronounce. And why should I when cannabis, a plant that I can grow in a garden, helps me out just as much if not more?" he said.

But Bollinger said the concept of medical marijuana has been greatly abused.

"I wouldn't consider it for my patients," said Bollinger, a surgeon at Guam Orthopaedic Associates. "I'm not in favor of the bill."

As Halligan raises concerns about the abuse of prescribed painkillers, Bollinger also said he's seen how medicinal marijuana can be abused and cause harm to one's physical and mental health.

Dr. Thomas Shieh, who's been vocal about health issues that come across the political spectrum, said he's concerned about Respicio's legislation.

"Sen. Rory asked me to review the bill and I told him to not introduce the marijuana bill until I reviewed it with my physician colleagues. That was my advice to him," Shieh said yesterday.

"Marijuana is a mind-altering drug, and we have to be very careful to add this to the legalized drug list. Adding marijuana problems with alcohol -- it's a deadly mix," Shieh said.

Any drug -- legal or illegal -- can be abused, but Hallinger said he would be among those who would use marijuana responsibly. He noted how he works two jobs to pay for his college courses as he pursues degrees in computer science and anthropology.

"My condition differentiates me and yet I have to function just like anyone else," he said. "This bill would really help people like me."

NewsHawk: Ganjarden: 420 MAGAZINE
Source: Pacific Daily News
Author: Dionesis Tamondong
Copyright: 2010 Pacific Daily News

* Thanks to MedicalNeed for submitting this article

Back
Top Bottom