Lobbyists Advocate For Medical Marijuana Legislation In Springfield

Truth Seeker

Four medical marijuana patients lobbied in Springfield yesterday in an effort to boost support for legislation that would legalize the drug for medicinal purposes.

"I'm just really, really hoping that they can see where we're coming from as patients ... that this really can help us," said Jessica Bauer of Rockford, who suffers from pancreatic cancer, during a press conference at the Statehouse.

Sponsored by State Rep. Lou Lang (D-Skokie), HB 1 would create the four-year Compassionate Use of Medical Cannabis Pilot Program Act. Lang describes the program as tougher and more regulated than any other states' medical marijuana legislation.

The bill has received eight co-sponsors and is on the calendar to receive a third reading.

Qualified patients, only people with medical conditions such as cancer, multiple sclerosis (MS) or HIV/AIDS, could use up to 2.5 ounces of marijuana over a two-week period. Patients have to receive approval from a doctor and the Department of Public Health before they get a prescription.

After the pilot program ends, lawmakers would decide whether or not to make the law permanent.

"I've become a prisoner in my own body with the atrophy, the muscle spasms ... I've tried every pill, every shot, everything they could offer me," said Jim Champion, a Somonauk patient of MS for more than 25 years. "I no longer take Valium and morphine and some of the heavier drugs ... I was a prisoner to all of these prescription drugs they kept giving me."

Champion said that smoking marijuana allowed him to greatly reduce the number of pills he consumed every day, from 54 to 25.

According to Lang, 10 to 12 lawmakers are still undecided about the legislation, and it is still a few votes away from being passed.

"When you have a controversial bill like this, sometimes it's a moving target," Lang said. "There will be people who are leaning 'yes,' and the next day, maybe not so much. And some that were leaning 'no' are with you the next day."

Marijuana_Leaf4.jpg

News Hawk- Truth Seeker 420 MAGAZINE ®
Source: progressillinois.com
Author: progressillinois.com
Website: Lobbyists Advocate For Medical Marijuana Legislation In Springfield | Progress Illinois

Back
Top Bottom