Local Headshop Celebrates Stoner Holiday

Billows of hookah smoke rose above the crowd gathered in front of Blaze ’N’ J’s on April 20 as people anxiously waited to hear the number of the next raffle ticket.

The second place prize was up — a 2-foot tall glass water pipe with a rasta-colored “420” blown in the middle.

Over the music of the DJ and the hubbub of the horde, the number was called. A collective groan escaped as Steven Zundel worked his way to the front to claim his prize.

It was his first time going to the shop, and he had only put six tickets into the raffle, he said.

“I’m stoked,” Zundel said. “I wasn’t expecting anything.”

The annual 4/20 party at Blaze ’N’ J’s has been happening for the past 10 years, said shop employee KiKi Chess. This year’s festivities included music, food, voting on new shisha flavors, and a coloring contest with a raffle.

There were more than 75 entries for the coloring contest, which was the largest amount received in the past few years, Chess said. Each entry garnered a raffle ticket, and more could be purchased. More than $1,000 of hookahs, clothing, glass and accessories were raffled off, and almost everyone who was at the drawing won something.

“It was one of the best turnouts I’ve seen,” Chess said. “It’s also one of our biggest days of the year — more so than other holidays.”

About two hundred people showed up throughout the course of the day, Chess said. In addition, all aspects of the multi-faceted store were present, from the glass blowing line, PYRX, to the Blaze-1 clothing line and the band, Collie Buddz.

Another 4/20 function was taking place across town in the parking lot of Dragon Tobacco. A free barbecue, live music and a dunk tank drew packs of people to partake in the party.

“I’m looking for any kind of celebration to get together,” said store owner Suhail Pufail. “It’s a gift we give the people.”

Some folks do see April 20 as a special kind of day.

“It’s a day of recognition of Mother Nature’s gifts in the herbal community,” he said. “I’m all for legalization, and I consider it a holiday.”

Others don’t think the date holds much relevance.

“There doesn’t need to be a day to celebrate doing drugs,” said senior Kane Mecozzi. “I think it’s way over-hyped.”

April 20 also marks the anniversary of Hitler’s birthday and the Columbine school shooting, while the anniversaries of the Oklahoma City bombing and the Branch Division fire in Waco, Texas are remembered April 19.

The Chico Police Department looks at April 20 in a slightly different manner.

Although they are aware of the marijuana associated with April 20, officers are more worried about the possibility of violence, said Lt. Linda Dye.

“We’re aware that it’s a marijuana day, but our concerns are more toward violence,” Dye said.

Though no major violent acts occurred, there was a report of a large group of high school-age people smoking at the Children’s Playground around 4:20 p.m., she said.

The party at Blaze ’N’ J’s had no problems with the police and everyone had a blast, said employee Becca Cerletti.

“If you want to associate 4/20 with violence, you’re not going to find it from a bunch of hippies,” she said.

News Hawk- Ganjarden 420 MAGAZINE ® - Medical Marijuana Publication & Social Networking
Source: The Orion
Author: Megan McCourt
Copyright: 2009 The Orion

Back
Top Bottom