Long term storage

What’s everyone’s thoughts on vacuum sealing in mason jars for curing and storage?
Good question. I figure you are talking about using the normal canning jar lids with the special attachment that goes over the jar opening. My thoughts are that it is a really good concept but it has turned into more hassle and trouble than it is worth. I tried the system and after a lot of time spent getting nowhere I called the company. Tried everything they suggested and gave up.

For storage I will just put the flat lid on the jar and fasten down with the ring until snug but not tight. Make it too tight and the ring might not want to come loose later. When the ring does come off then the flat lid has to be pried off which often ruins it.

And if the user does not have a spare canning jar lid or two laying around, then what? Off to the store to get some and if the store is out?:(

I have zero basis for this bias, but I feel like I wouldn't want to put a living thing in a vacuum for storage. I think vacuum is great for the flowers, just not convinced it would be good for the seeds.
#justmyopinion

I am thinking I might spray paint the outside of my mason jars so they're at least a little light resistant, has anyone tried that? Probably won't actually get around to it til spring. Hopefully no problems ensue.

I have zero basis for this bias, but I feel like I wouldn't want to put a living thing in a vacuum for storage. I think vacuum is great for the flowers, just not convinced it would be good for the seeds.
#justmyopinion

I am thinking I might spray paint the outside of my mason jars so they're at least a little light resistant, has anyone tried that? Probably won't actually get around to it til spring. Hopefully no problems ensue.
It is an idea but also a waste of the jar. Also possible that the paint will slowly off gas some chemicals and unless the jar is sealed air-tight some of those might get into whatever is inside the jar unless you research the paints since some of the water based paints might be acceptable.

One idea would be to go to a store and look at their empty boxes. Find a box with a top and use that to store the jars. The top of the box keeps light out just like the paint would. If you go with the idea of storing the jars in a box try to select a box that you would be able to get more of. Makes it easier to stack the boxes.

What’s everyone’s thoughts on vacuum sealing in mason jars for curing and storage?
That’s what I do. I put an ounce in each quart jar along with a 62% Boveda pack. I do check and reseal them ever couple of months. Remember that everything leaks, so if left for say one year, your vacuum on the jar may be gone.

I figure you are talking about using the normal canning jar lids with the special attachment that goes over the jar opening. My thoughts are that it is a really good concept but it has turned into more hassle and trouble than it is worth. I tried the system and after a lot of time spent getting nowhere I called the company. Tried everything they suggested and gave up.
Are you using the FoodSaver device that you can get from Amazon? I use one of those along with a small hand vacuum (mityvac). The attachment for wide mouth jars works great but I can’t get the attachment for regular mouth jars to work. I’ve tried different jars, lids, etc. It just won’t seal. I’m going to purchase another one and see if it will work. If not, returning stuff to Amazon is pretty easy.

Are you using the FoodSaver device that you can get from Amazon? I use one of those along with a small hand vacuum (mityvac). The attachment for wide mouth jars works great but I can’t get the attachment for regular mouth jars to work. I’ve tried different jars, lids, etc. It just won’t seal. I’m going to purchase another one and see if it will work. If not, returning stuff to Amazon is pretty easy.
Yes. I have the small size vacuum device that takes the smaller bag, about 6 inches across, and then the larger one that will take the bags that are 11 inches across. Each has the port for the hose. Bought my first one at an outdoors store, maybe a Bass Pro Shop, then found the small one at a garage sale, and then when the first one broke I replaced it with one I bought at a large super-market which has a bigger display than either BPS, Cabelas, or any hunting-fishing-outdoor activity store.

I use them a lot for vacuum packaging meats, and sometimes vegetables, before freezing.

There are vacuum bags available that include a zip lock feature. Once cut open the zip-lock feature is used to open & close the bag until the contents are used up. These style of bags come in pint, quart and gallon size.

Back
Top Bottom