Lowest PPFD/Lux

What is your current light to plant distance, and light intensity? (%)
The light burn and initial tacoing occurred at 20 inches and 50% (42 DLI) the bleaching stopped but tacoing continued when moved to 28 inches and 50%. (35 DLI) It seems to have settled in at 32 inches and 50%. (30 DLI) It almost seems like it was so starved of mag that it’s going to take another round of it before the plant lets me get it any closer, and it almost looks like it’s telling me it’s gonna start showing deficient again even after a full dose.

I feel like these images especially are trying to tell me they still want more mag

32F3CC8F-62FF-4535-8B2C-00757FF11A64.jpeg

4E570E26-04B3-4292-B592-A2CFFCB47E8B.jpeg

I think I’m also going to download Photone on my wife’s phone.. she has an iPhone 13 pro max and I have an iPhone 7 🤣 so maybe I should double check what hers says.. I don’t wanna pay for the upgrade again though cuz I’m cheap lol

It seems to have settled in at 32 inches and 50%. (30 DLI)
So based upon your own post below, your near the upper threshold for the light and stage of plant. Dial it down to 30% for now, leave it at that hight. Giver some recouping time.

So out of all the research I did on my light I never once came across any site, not even the manufacturer recommending these heights and percentages for growth that I just found. If I would’ve seen this, I never would’ve begun struggling with the light the way I have. Hell, on one of the sites it recommended hanging it 15 inches.. this new find seems far more in line with what I’ve seen from this light so far.

I swear this happens all the time. I will scour the internet and everything I own looking for answers and come up empty. The moment I ask for help though, I magically stumble across what I’m looking for smh

of course this doesn’t help solve why my plants aren’t able to take more light, it does however, help alleviate my confusion about hanging height

AA6F39C1-CBDF-479D-8D8D-5B0EA8451CA5.jpeg

Your plant can't just go from zero to full blast with lighting, there is a "hardening off" that happens, and needs to be done.

Don't worry, once you get the "starting point " dialed in for your light, it'll go smoother in the future.

The 30% to 50% bump should take a couple weeks, when you bump, just do 10% at a time, and if she doesn't like it, dial it back down.

So based upon your own post below, your near the upper threshold for the light and stage of plant. Dial it down to 30% for now, leave it at that hight. Giver some recouping time.

Your plant can't just go from zero to full blast with lighting, there is a "hardening off" that happens, and needs to be done.

Don't worry, once you get the "starting point " dialed in for your light, it'll go smoother in the future.

The 30% to 50% bump should take a couple weeks, when you bump, just do 10% at a time, and if she doesn't like it, dial it back down.
I can only dim at 25% increments, 25, 50, 75, 100.. if I pickup the controller I can adjust in between so I’ll look into that. Until then I’ll just keep it low and safe while I’m still learning. Are there any signs to watch out for that your plant isn’t getting enough light?

@Rexer so here is an image of a plant that just entered veg and it’s showing the same signs I was seeing on the other plant.. can you see how each of the points is lighter in color, especially on the serrated edges? Is this an indication of light stress or mag deficiency beginning?

CB3AB605-7D92-4D41-A7A2-B133A7E1F3FE.jpeg

@Rexer so here is an image of a plant that just entered veg and it’s showing the same signs I was seeing on the other plant.. can you see how each of the points is lighter in color, especially on the serrated edges? Is this an indication of light stress or mag deficiency beginning?

CB3AB605-7D92-4D41-A7A2-B133A7E1F3FE.jpeg
If it's just the tips, it could be a sign of nute burn.
If it follows along the serrations of the leaf-
Potassium deficiency:
Older leaves are initially chlorotic but soon develop dark necrotic lesions
(dead tissue). First apparent on the tips and margins of the leaves. Stem and branches may become weak and easily broken, the plant may also stretch. The plant will become susceptible to disease and toxicity. In addition to appearing to look like iron deficiency, the tips of the leaves curl and the edges burn and die.
Thread 'Plant Abuse Chart' Plant Abuse Chart
But if it stays just like that...carry on, if it gets worse or more pronounced, then you have a nutrient deficiency.

Too much Mg can lockout other nutrients, just as a heads up.

the good news is that has nothing to do with the light, and is a nutrient issue :)

If it's just the tips, it could be a sign of nute burn.
If it follows along the serrations of the leaf-

Thread 'Plant Abuse Chart' Plant Abuse Chart
But if it stays just like that...carry on, if it gets worse or more pronounced, then you have a nutrient deficiency.

Too much Mg can lockout other nutrients, just as a heads up.

the good news is that has nothing to do with the light, and is a nutrient issue :)
Awesome, thank you for your help, and the speedy replies, I appreciate it.

Awesome, thank you for your help, and the speedy replies, I appreciate it.
No problem, just don't be shy to ask others for a second opinion- I'm no pro and I'd hate to be wrong and things not work out.

The best investment for starting your crop is a cheap luxury meter of am(a)zo(n). I got the Dr. Meter.

Back
Top Bottom