Make Your Own Worm Casting Tea!

This is an awesome product that we've just been introduced to. Over 36 million tons of food waste reach landfills each year in the United States. Instead of tossing your food scraps into the garbage, get some use out of them and let Mother Nature take over!

Here is a quick video explaining how the Worm Factory 360 works:

Worm Factory 360, by Nature's Footprint - YouTube

Perfect Gardens has these online right now, if you're interested click the link ;)

Worm composting makes it easy to recycle kitchen scraps, paper waste and cardboard.

I harvest my worm castings off my lawn..

I have dressed the top of my homemade soil mix with them.

Also made up a tea / nute mix with them a few days ago. Plus i added a heaped tablespoon i wood fire ash to it. This contains trace elements.

My fish tanks supply the water and nutes..

Heres last nute mix.

image6162.jpg

Thanks jjb.... I made the soil mix myself...

I have suffered no nute burning,no pests so far.

My girls have just started flowering. Using a 200w dual cfl.

Im at just over a month of my first grow and had no problems at all.. So happy..

The nutes must be working well, my girls are very green.

If you have time, my journal has pics and describes the grow so far. All advice gratefully received..

Take it easy fellow gardners. :Namaste::passitleft::passitleft:

I use worm juice and casting tea on my plants. They love it! Keeping a worm farm is a great way to reduce outgoings and recycle waste.

I built my own worm farm and used it for a year, then I got the 360 and have been using it for a year now. Both ways are doable, but I would buy the 360 again without question. It's well thought out and well enough made. I can harvest fresh castings once a week if I want to, but I can also let it run along slowly when I don't need the castings.

I'm deciding right now whether or not to buy the fancy plastic thing or just build it with the plans my brother gave me that can be built with junk I already have around the house.

I am super excited that I'm not going to have to buy worms. The castings I bought last week are completely full of baby worms. 1 cubic foot of it has hundreds of baby worms per handful.

@FatRob I'm somewhat disabled due to major back surgery. I cannot lift heavy objects off the ground. I was thinking that the 360 would be great because there is no one single thing I would have to lift that might be very heavy, and it is up off the ground to make lifting easier when necessary. How heavy do you think one full tray is? I'm good up to around 20 pounds or so. Maybe a little more?

Should I just start with the free plans and then move up to the store-bought fancy version once I build up some mass of worms?

That looks like a nice setup,Here we have a plastic 40 gallon drum that is on it,s side with rollers.It sure makes compost but when it get,s full it is a pain to rotate.. Yep we eat organic and everything get,s recycled.. We have these white mealworms in our compost..

I have the same sort of composter. It is nice, but it is for traditional composting, not for worms. Now, that's not saying one might not want to throw a handful of worms in there and see what happens. That's what I'm going to do. But for my serious worm castings, I'll go with a home built or purchased dedicated worm farm.

I'm deciding right now whether or not to buy the fancy plastic thing or just build it with the plans my brother gave me that can be built with junk I already have around the house.

I am super excited that I'm not going to have to buy worms. The castings I bought last week are completely full of baby worms. 1 cubic foot of it has hundreds of baby worms per handful.

@FatRob I'm somewhat disabled due to major back surgery. I cannot lift heavy objects off the ground. I was thinking that the 360 would be great because there is no one single thing I would have to lift that might be very heavy, and it is up off the ground to make lifting easier when necessary. How heavy do you think one full tray is? I'm good up to around 20 pounds or so. Maybe a little more?

Should I just start with the free plans and then move up to the store-bought fancy version once I build up some mass of worms?

Welcome to the World of Worms Chippy!

I get a little disabled my self from time to time, and home made worm bins I had were too heavy at times. I'd used 5 gallon Rubbermaid bins, and 5 gallons is a bunch when it's full of stuff that is that valuable and at the same time nasty.

The 360 is a lot more easily dealt with. You might be able to get 20 lbs into a tray, but I doubt it. I typically add scrap and bedding once a week, when the worms are active. I also pull a tray a week of castings. In the middle of summer and during winter they slow down, I only check them once every couple weeks in winter, feed only if it looks like they need it.

Mine live in the garage, inside a sheet Styrofoam and duct tape box, with a 4 watt lizard heater to keep them from freezing in the winter. When it gets really hot I make sure to give them some extra water and dump a tray of ice on them if it's a real scorcher. They seem to enjoy it.

The 360 makes life much easier. It's some of the best gardening money I've ever spent. I'd also recommend Uncle Jims, he's given me great service and knows what works.

Nice that you've got some "free" worms. Sounds like the folks that harvested the castings took good enough care of them to keep things alive, which I think is important.

:Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom