Marijuana Activists On Their Decision To Open Illegal Dispensaries In Montreal

Katelyn Baker

Jodie and Marc Emery have been pressing for the legalization of marijuana for years.

The activist couple has a chain of dispensaries with stores in British Columbia and Ontario.

Now, they're opening shops in Montreal, despite current federal law not allowing for the sale of recreational marijuana in Canada.

The federal government is expected to table legislation legalizing cannabis in the spring.

They joined CBC Montreal's Daybreak host Mike Finnerty on Thursday to explain their plans.

How do the stores work?

Jodie: It's a recreational model. We believe that all adults should have the right to access cannabis, which is a much safer choice than alcohol. We think the model out of Amsterdam has been around long enough that we should follow suit. In these locations you will show your ID in a front room and then you prove you're 19 or older and you enter the backroom where a selection of cannabis flowers are on display in jars with descriptions and prices and people are welcome to ask about it and choose the variety they like.

What rules will you have?

Jodie: We just want people to be adults. For us, we don't want to discriminate against the healthy and the sick. Most dispensaries have tried to operate under a medical angle, with doctors and signing up as a member, but we feel it's not fair to make people get sick or lie about being sick in order to have access.

Where do you get your supply?

Marc: Mostly people that have medical permits to grow for people for medical reasons but they grow more than they need to for that person, and so the excess goes to shops like ours.

Jodie: Some people have to hide. You have to remember that marijuana prohibition comes with very strict penalties. Many thousands have been growing for a very long time, but they have to hide. They would be very proud to put their name of face to their cannabis but the penalties are too harsh.

Is the product safe?

Jodie: We do test for bacteria, for mould, for pesticides and all of the samples come back clear and clean. That (a Globe and Mail report) was one example of one bud that was not the best.

Are you concerned about how close your shops are to neighbouring schools?

Marc: You have to be 19 to buy it. What you do after you buy it is not really my concern. My social responsibility is to make sure every adult has access to marijuana.

Jodie: We do not sell marijuana to children. But many young children are using marijuana oil to recover from seizures and from debilitating illnesses, and marijuana is far safer than sugar and fat, even peanuts and water, and laundry detergent pods, and many other dangerous substances.

What happens if you're raided?

Marc: The employees will get arrested. They will be charged in all likelihood but not necessarily. We will provide lawyers to make sure they don't suffer or don't go to jail.

Jodie: Police should only enforce the law where harm is being done, but dispensaries and shops like ours do no harm. In fact, they help divert people away from alcohol and other pharmaceuticals.

Why not wait until the spring, when the federal government's plans are clearer?

Jodie: It's wrong to make people wait for justice. We've had decades of prohibition,Canadians criminalized and turned into second-class citizens.

Marc: Why should we wait another day? We've waited 50 years and endured this persecution for three generations.

Is this a question of principle or are you just making money?

Marc: Is it illegitimate to earn money? By the way, I have given away most of my money I have earned throughout my life.

TheCanadianPress1.jpg

News Moderator: Katelyn Baker 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Marijuana Activists On Their Decision To Open Illegal Dispensaries In Montreal
Author: Staff
Photo Credit: The Canadian Press

Back
Top Bottom