Marijuana Goes to Ballot

XLE420

Coloradans will decide this fall whether to make it legal under state law for anyone age 21 and over to possess up to 1 ounce of marijuana.

Secretary of State Gigi Dennis announced Wednesday that backers of that ballot initiative had turned in enough signatures to qualify for the Nov. 7 general election.

The marijuana-legalization proposal will be Amendment 44 on the ballot, Dennis said.

Under Colorado law, anyone of any age caught possessing an ounce or less of marijuana can be charged with a Class 2 petty offense, punishable by a fine of up to $100.

The legalization proposal is being pushed by SAFER, an organization that asserts that, compared to alcohol, marijuana is a "Safer Alternative For Enjoyable Recreation."

But even if Amendment 44 passes, it still would be illegal under state law for individuals under age 21 to possess any amount of marijuana or for people 21 and older to possess amounts of more than 1 ounce.

And state laws would continue to ban growing or selling marijuana; open and public display, use or consumption of marijuana; and driving under the influence of marijuana.

SAFER spokesman Mason Tvert said alcohol abuse "contributes to social problems like fighting, sexual assault, property damage and domestic violence. Marijuana use has never been linked to these types of issues."

Foes of SAFER's proposal have argued that marijuana use can lead someone to other illegal drugs and thus increase overall drug abuse.

Newshawk: SX420 - 420 Magazine
Source: Loveland FYI
Pubdate: 08-17-2006
Author: John Fryar
Copyright: 2006 Daily Reporter-Herald
Website: ReporterHerald.com - A service of the Loveland Daily Reporter-Herald

I'm a Coloradan and I Vote!

I can't wait to vote on this issue as well as the other stuff this Nov.

Maybe it's the age gap and all, but when you use the word Nazi, I'm really not sure you fully understand the impact of insulting even the idiodic government we live under.

Nazi's were, and are some of the greatest evil ever to grace the face of this planet. You should think twice before applying that label to anyone.

Anyway, not to hijack the thread or anything, GOOOO COLORADO we'll be rooting for you! GOOD LUCK!

Alright thats it! First i want to move to colorado because of the cheaper housing and now this. Coloradians i take back anything bad i ever said about you. Yea gotta a agree with craxx calling out goverment Nazi's is like calling terrorist freedom fighters.

If this passes....I would hope that it would be the beginning of the end to all the Bull Shit us fellow Marijuana Smokers have endured for decades........

This could be the start of something great. The societal paradigm towards Cannabis is extremely twisted and completely irrational. If this amendment passes it could really start to shift that paradigm. All those Neo-fascist Conservatives will see that legalizing cannabis use actually WOULDN'T spell the downfall of civilization. What a concept! Soon other states may follow in Colorado's footsteps, and then maybe even the feds. This amendment would also bode well for Industrial Hemp and Medical Marijuana progress. :peace:

So everyone 18 and up in colorado will be voting? My mom lives in fort collins, and ill have her vote for this ....

Alrright Coloarado your the first state to get this opportunity and if it passes most deffintely not the last...Go out and really push this starting now educate all your neighbors and everyone get this PASSED!! Dont get stoned and forget..:Rasta:

It will be a great thing! Colorado.. a favorite place to visit . Good luck Coloradans!

emmy0mega said:
Im really excited to see what happens. We turned in 130,000 sigs to get it on the ballot even tho we only needed 68,000!

Hell Yes!!! . If Denver passed it, being more metropolis then most of laid back colorado-(without the immigrant community who most likely would be all for it but cant vote)-then the rest of CO like Fort Collins, Colorado Springs, Vail, Breckenridge, and OMG BOULDER!!!! will surely vote yes as the majority.

you folks that pray start the prayer wheels light the insence get on your knees do the chants and dances and watch out for thje evil right wing evangelicals based in colorado that GOD created every green plant bearing seed and it was good She said {genesis 1:12} and it was not tainted by original sin evangelicals seem to forget this and if you live in colorado please register and vote .......

i think the navigators are still based in colorado springs area and other evangelical groups that get drunk commit adultry and call potheads wicked

Back
Top Bottom