Marijuana Online Chat Sparks Lively Discussion

Jacob Bell

California--Bee readers had a lot to say about Fresno County's proposed medical marijuana ordinance during a live online chat Monday.

The discussion came on the eve of a scheduled vote by county supervisors on the ordinance. If approved, the regulation would force the county's roughly 15 medical pot dispensaries to shut down and limit cultivation to a handful of indoor, industrial sites.

Sheriff Margaret Mims, a panelist in Monday's chat, defended the ordinance: "Since Fresno County has experienced a proliferation of medical marijuana dispensaries and cultivation grows located in a variety of locations with insufficient regard for public health, safety, welfare or land-use compatibility, regulation is necessary."

Local attorneys Rick Horowitz and Brenda Linder, also panelists, expressed concerns: "If I am a qualified patient, this ordinance would, in effect, send me back to the street dealer to obtain the medicine I have a lawful right to obtain and possess. Instead of reducing crime, it will create more," Linder said.

Here are a few comments from among the nearly 500 readers who joined Monday's conversation.

"The citizens of California by a 56% majority legalized medical cannabis in 1996. Subsequent legislation specifies patient rights to local access of this medicine and the right to cultivate for personal use."

— Tim

"I am 66 with severe arthritis and fibromyalgia. My kidneys quit tolerating the pain pills and muscle relaxers I had taken for years. I need the cannabis so I can sleep and try to lessen the pain."

— Margaret Vaughn

"Let's all just be honest. This is a ban on collectives and a ban on individuals growing in their own home. It is just disguised as regulation knowing it is really a ban."

— Tom

"I don't think people should be able to grow their own. Marijuana has an odor. If the neighbors know that person grows marijuana, it puts them in jeopardy."

— Rosie

"Why the discrimination of marijuana users when far more pharmacies and liquor stores have been robbed more frequently and contribute to more crime?"

— James

"I will let you live in my house for three months and I guarantee you will think differently once you are next to a marijuana dispensary."

— Carlos

abb33.jpg

News Hawk- Jacob Ebel 420 MAGAZINE
Source: fresnobee.com
Author: The Fresno Bee
Copyright: The Fresno Bee

Back
Top Bottom