Marijuana Price Drop Hype... Or Scare Tactics?

MedicalNeed

It seems that some are a little worried that a vote that would legalize Cannabis in California might also upset supply and demand that medical marijuana values could plunge by as much as 90 % and perhaps challenge the tax bonus that cannabis supporters have used to sell the proposal, a study in print Wednesday found.

The study by the independent RAND Drug Policy Research Center projects some attention-grabbing possibilities if Ca in Nov becomes the second state, after Alaska, to legalize cannabis for entertaining use by adults and the first to tax commercial marijuana sales sales. Do you think marijuana should remain medical

Rand Researchers are stating Marijuana prices may well plunge from $375 an oz., within the state's present medical cannabis regulation to less than $38 per oz. prior to taxes.

With legislation already passed, in both Colorado and California, legalizing some form of marijuana possession over the past few years, more advocates are wondering when this support will spread. With the State and Federal governments falling further into debt each passing day, the recession economy may the final push needed to legalize the drug.

Marijuana, fully outlawed in 1970 by the Controlled Substances Act of 1970, has been the largest producer of drug related crimes in the past 40 years. Recently, states such as California, Nevada, and Maryland have legalized medical marijuana if a patient can prevent substantial need. Otherwise those who possess it can be punished with crippling fines, and even jail time.

This medical legislation has caused an exponential increase in support for the advocacy of marijuana legalization. According to a recent poll, 40% of all Americans, more than for both the new stimulus package and GOP party leaders, support the legalization of marijuana possession and usage.

Surprisingly, at least one state government is starting to take notice of this growing marijuana movement.

Just a few weeks ago, California Assemblyman Tom Ammiano introduced a bill proposing legalization and tax of the substance for sale to citizens over 21 years of age. He cited the troubles in the US economy the main reason to legalize the drug, projecting as much as $1.3 billion in state revenue through taxed sale of the drug.

"With the state in the midst of an historic economic crisis, the move towards regulating and taxing marijuana is simply common sense. This legislation would generate much needed revenue for the state, restrict access to only those over 21, end the environmental damage to our public lands from illicit crops, and improve public safety by redirecting law enforcement efforts to more serious crimes," said Ammiano. "California has the opportunity to be the first state in the nation to enact a smart, responsible public policy for the control and regulation of marijuana."

Passing this unprecedented legislation would certainly have drastic consequences on the drug culture of America. Making the substance readily available at establishments would discourage buyers from dealing with criminals, as well as provide the product for a much lower price, as there is no longer a need to pay smugglers.

It appears that marijuana legalization is no longer a question of if, but when it will happen.

Sources: Ammiano Press Release 2/23/09, Matthew Yglesias, AFP News

NewsHawk: MedicalNeed: 420 MAGAZINE
Source: California State Medical Marijuana Patient Identification
Contact: California State Medical Marijuana Patient Identification
Copyright: 2010 California State Medical Marijuana Patient Identification
Website:2010 August | California State Medical Marijuana Patient Identification

:yummy::Rasta:that's all. It is think about it the only thing that you will get for 38 dollars is some screened/kiefed buds that taste like they were mass produced. They are simply trying to scare everyone in the business to vote us backwards. There were many who thought MMJ would not be good and look This Plant Can Overthrow Goverments this is a fact. Let's push this thing forward yes on Prop 19 don't play games with this it's too important. The last thing the MAN wants is us sitting aroung chill talking to one another about life, government, the important things they want us dumb and drunk. 38 dollars shit as far as I know it cost the same for everyone for electricity or the sun. I would love to see a big production grow with the quality I have for 38 a OZ whatever go for it do me a favor but I won't hold my breath:goodluck:

There is crap out there now thats only worth ~$38, problem is right now the $38 dollar stuff sells for $200+ and is only one shelf below the kine thats worth every penny @ $380.

I don't care about their quality, I'm growing my own.

The guys at the RAND corp don't smoke weed. That's the only way they could come up with BS like that. We can buy wine for $2 bucks a bottle at Trader Joes and we can buy wine for $150 per bottle at fine wine shops. Weed will be the same. Yes the price will drop, we're already seeing that happen. You can buy $38 schwagg, shake or headache mexibud or $200 crystallized, manicured, head lifting bud. At least we'll have a choice so vote yes on prop 19.

It will not matter what you want to sell it for if you are a grower. The control will be given to the prohibitionist with prop 19 and will tax, regulate and ban as they see fit. But so far from all the people puting out all the stats on prop 19 say that prices will fall to 38/oz + tax.....LOL

When every post by one member has the same agenda to recite the same views over and over without otherwise offering any help, guidance or grow stoke, isn't that a forum troll?

Back
Top Bottom