Marijuana Should Be Decriminalized

I recently viewed the news conference where President Barack Obama answered the question that many people have been waiting for, whether or not legalizing and taxing marijuana is a good idea.

Obama just laughed the question off and said it's not a good idea. In my opinion, I think we should re-think this topic and stop people who think marijuana is such a horrible thing, and look at the good that could come from legalizing it.

I don't see why marijuana shouldn't be legal. The government only has a right to limit the choices of an individual if the individual's actions endanger someone else. Marijuana doesn't fall into this category; there are far more dangerous drugs that are legal, such as tobacco and alcohol. According to Amsterdam.info, in Holland, where it's legal to possess marijuana, the Dutch try their hardest to decriminalize the use of marijuana. They think of it as an individual choice and not a matter of the government enforcement. Also, facts from safercolorado.org show that in 2001 there were 331 alcohol overdose deaths and no marijuana overdose deaths. Alcohol has many effects that can harm the body, such as deaths from liver disease caused by alcohol; in 2003 there were 12,360 to be exact.

We could legalize and tax marijuana, which will give us a lot more money to spend on (other) things, such as school systems.

News Hawk- Ganjarden 420 MAGAZINE ® - Medical Marijuana Publication & Social Networking
Source: The Coloradoan
Author: Korey Maestas
Copyright: 2009 The Coloradoan

i think if they could tax it ,they could produce alot of cash for the state,instead of spending money on putting and keeping people in jails and prisons for thin gs like possesion of marijuana

President Obama paraphrased that question at the town hall meeting.

I think President Obama does not want to expend any spare political capital on cannabis. He has an agenda, and so do the democrats. I think they want to take advantage of the financial and political climate to address social concerns of the DNC.

Although medical marijuana, hemp farming, and cannabis regulation and taxation are NOT, presently, included in their agendas, ONCE they have finished with their early manuvering regarding THEIR pet projects (healthcare, budget, debt, etc), there will be the time for OUR pet projects.

OUR cause will rise up the priority list, and JUST in time before the 2010 elections.

Until the NEW powers in the White House are confident that their 68% approval rating will be sustained through their political revamping of policy, they will not be comfortable enough to take that approval rating out for a spin, to see what they can get away with.

I suggest a very easy first step for them... take cannabis OFF of schedule 1!

Surely there is enough evidence to warrant that cannabis DOES have some medicinal qualities.

Back
Top Bottom