Marijuana Site in '11 is Possible

Jacob Bell

A legal marijuana dispensary could open in South Jersey as soon as December if everything goes as planned for Compassionate Care Foundation Inc., one of the state's six licensed cannabis distributors.

Planning for a growing operation and dispensary can resume now that Gov. Christie finally gave the go-ahead to the state's medical-marijuana program, said the group's chief executive officer, William Thomas.

On Tuesday, Christie directed the state health department to move forward after he put the initiative on hold in April.

The department in March approved Compassionate Care and Compassionate Sciences Inc. to distribute medicinal cannabis in South Jersey.

Compassionate Sciences may need up to nine months to set up shop, spokesman Andrei Bogolubov said.

Both organizations confirmed last week that Burlington and Camden Counties were their target locations, but neither would reveal details about sites. Thomas said he wanted to meet with public officials and community members before moving forward.

"We got in trouble before by getting ahead of the politicians," he said. "We want to respect them and make sure everyone's aware before we make an announcement."

Compassionate Care filed a permit application with the state Department of Health and Senior Services in February, listing an industrial complex in Bellmawr as its site for growing.

In the application, the group said it wanted its dispensary in the same town.

Bogolubov declined to provide details about the type of site that Compassionate Sciences was looking for, and the group didn't specify locations on its permit application.

At peak capacity, Compassionate Care plans to produce about 10,000 ounces of cannabis per month, enough to serve 5,000 patients, Thomas said.

It wants to secure a 50,000-square-foot warehouse for cultivation.

The group estimates that 500,000 people in New Jersey qualify to use medicinal marijuana under the state's guidelines, which permit use by the terminally ill and people suffering from diseases including cancer, glaucoma, multiple sclerosis, AIDS, muscular dystrophy, and Crohn's disease.

Thomas said his group anticipated serving about 1 percent of that population.

"We're trying to be conservative in our estimates," he said. "It's not a medicine that everyone may care to use."

Compassionate Care and Compassionate Sciences halted their start-up plans during the last several months while Christie sought assurances that licensed growers would not face federal prosecution. New Jersey Attorney General Paula Dow wrote to U.S. Attorney Paul Fishman seeking clarification on how federal law enforcement officials would deal with the New Jersey program.

The Justice Department offered no assurances. Instead, U.S. Deputy Attorney General James Cole issued a policy memo in late June saying everyone from licensed growers to regulators could be subject to criminal prosecution.

However, he also noted that the agency did not view prosecuting patients as an efficient use of resources.

New Jersey is one of 16 states that permit the cultivation, sale, and use of medical marijuana.

The others are Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Delaware, Hawaii, Maine, Michigan, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, Oregon, Rhode Island, Vermont, and Washington.

Christie agreed to allow New Jersey's program to proceed more than 18 months after his predecessor signed the legislation to create it.

Christie, a former U.S. attorney, said he didn't believe the Justice Department would prosecute New Jersey dispensaries "given the narrow and medically based nature of our program."

Supporters call New Jersey's program the toughest in the nation because it serves a narrow group of patients, prohibits people from growing cannabis for personal use, requires criminal background checks for caretakers who pick up marijuana on behalf of severely ill patients, and limits the number of dispensaries to six - two apiece for its northern, central, and southern regions.

"It's the most restrictive major program out there, and it has an opportunity to set a national standard," Bogolubov said.

Opponents of the program fear a gradual relaxation of the rules.

Steve Demofonte, a legislative liaison of the New Jersey Fraternal Order of Police, said advocates were chipping away until the state allowed profit-making for sellers, a broader group of qualified users, or even outright legalization of marijuana and other substances.

The Coalition for Medical Marijuana New Jersey has already called on politicians to change the regulations, saying they are inconsistent with legislation passed in 2010 to create the program.

The group's executive director, Ken Wolski, takes issue with health department guidelines that require patients and doctors to register, and with the limits on THC - the psychoactive substance in cannabis.

"They're treating the alternative treatment centers more strictly than they deal with pharmacies, which sell much more dangerous drugs," he said.

Police groups are concerned that legalized cannabis operations will attract peripheral crimes, such as break-ins of growing facilities and robberies of patients carrying money and drugs.

"We're looking at an entirely new type of environment where we can expect a rise in crime," Demofonte said.

Bellmawr Mayor Frank Filipek said he would accept a medical-marijuana facility in town so long as the operators addressed concerns from residents and law enforcement.

"I had some problems with it until someone explained how they'd run it and how it was going to help sick people," he said.

Thomas predicted that Compassionate Care would provide 140 jobs in its host community.

abb14.jpg

News Hawk- Jacob Ebel 420 MAGAZINE
Source: philly.com
Author: Joshua Adam Hicks
Copyright: Philadelphia Media Network, Inc.

Hmm... 1/6 of the allowable cannabis factories (sounds like that's what it'll be) expects to be able to serve up to 5,000 medicinal users a month. And they estimate that 500,000 people will qualify under the medicinal-use rules.

Can no one in that state do simple algebra?

BtW, is this a state that, as part of their legislation, forbids people to grow their own cannabis if they live within n miles of one of these cannabis factories? If so... Oy vey!

:yahoo:good luck compassionate care and all the good people of south jersey . ill be thinkin about yous right across the river in delaware..:high-five:

Latest NJ Medicinal Pot laws just read last week BANS your Primary Care Physician from prescribing, which mine had said he would do for chronic disabling pain, and last week said "NO, don't ever bring it up again". According to aspect of this law, you must find a new doctor who can only prescribe Pot to ONE patient per doctor. At over 1,000 people per square mile living in NJ, how much do you think will get help? Last January my doctor told me Governor Christie was only going to allow pot with a reduction to only 25% THC level of normal pot to be sold medicinally. And ONLY 6 dispensaries??? The nearest one to me would be a 2 hour drive each way. I have been on EVERY 'legal' narcotic made since 1994 and overdosed once and almost died. My 26 year old did die from his own Oxycontin. For 15 years friends and family told me to smoke but I didn't, until finally did and was 100% out of pain for the first time in all those years, no matter how many Narcotics I took, and for a while, 360 grams of Oxies a DAY. And all the complications/side affects from that crap. Well, screw the governor and the government. It is a gift from Mother Earth and will do it myself from Amsterdam and my 12 gauge. Continue the Johnny Pot Seed Project too!

dam i dident think things were THAT messed up. you cant believe the press THEY LIE . i do believe the local people and what they wrote here.:peace:

Chuck,
Welcome, glad you finally caved in and gave the best,safest herbal remedy a try. Hell, even the side effects are medicinal.
Sorry to hear of your loss, No one knows the damage legal pharmaceuticals can do as well as you,do they?
I am glad you're here, looking forward.
Hopefully the laws,regulations will catch up to real patient needs,as they seem to be using fuzzy math.

:nicethread: Having lived in New Jersey I hate to sound negative but I know it will never work. Too many folks both legal and illegal will have there hand's in the business and it will turn into a joke. RD :peace::peace::peace:

Thanks to all had comments to my post. Just got my Vape in the mail yesterday, always choked on it before and that's why I rarely smoked this miracle herb. Now I have found the BEST pain management med on earth, and didn't last week or so the Feds claimed it has no effect on pain??! F them for sure. Never believed a word from the Gov or press my whole life anyway. Good to meet you all. Peace
Chuck

A legal marijuana dispensary could open in South Jersey as soon as December if everything goes as planned for Compassionate Care Foundation Inc., one of the state's six licensed cannabis distributors.

Planning for a growing operation and dispensary can resume now that Gov. Christie finally gave the go-ahead to the state's medical-marijuana program, said the group's chief executive officer, William Thomas.

On Tuesday, Christie directed the state health department to move forward after he put the initiative on hold in April.

The department in March approved Compassionate Care and Compassionate Sciences Inc. to distribute medicinal cannabis in South Jersey.

Compassionate Sciences may need up to nine months to set up shop, spokesman Andrei Bogolubov said.

Both organizations confirmed last week that Burlington and Camden Counties were their target locations, but neither would reveal details about sites. Thomas said he wanted to meet with public officials and community members before moving forward.

"We got in trouble before by getting ahead of the politicians," he said. "We want to respect them and make sure everyone's aware before we make an announcement."

Compassionate Care filed a permit application with the state Department of Health and Senior Services in February, listing an industrial complex in Bellmawr as its site for growing.

In the application, the group said it wanted its dispensary in the same town.

Bogolubov declined to provide details about the type of site that Compassionate Sciences was looking for, and the group didn't specify locations on its permit application.

At peak capacity, Compassionate Care plans to produce about 10,000 ounces of cannabis per month, enough to serve 5,000 patients, Thomas said.

It wants to secure a 50,000-square-foot warehouse for cultivation.

The group estimates that 500,000 people in New Jersey qualify to use medicinal marijuana under the state's guidelines, which permit use by the terminally ill and people suffering from diseases including cancer, glaucoma, multiple sclerosis, AIDS, muscular dystrophy, and Crohn's disease.

Thomas said his group anticipated serving about 1 percent of that population.

"We're trying to be conservative in our estimates," he said. "It's not a medicine that everyone may care to use."

Compassionate Care and Compassionate Sciences halted their start-up plans during the last several months while Christie sought assurances that licensed growers would not face federal prosecution. New Jersey Attorney General Paula Dow wrote to U.S. Attorney Paul Fishman seeking clarification on how federal law enforcement officials would deal with the New Jersey program.

The Justice Department offered no assurances. Instead, U.S. Deputy Attorney General James Cole issued a policy memo in late June saying everyone from licensed growers to regulators could be subject to criminal prosecution.

However, he also noted that the agency did not view prosecuting patients as an efficient use of resources.

New Jersey is one of 16 states that permit the cultivation, sale, and use of medical marijuana.

The others are Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Delaware, Hawaii, Maine, Michigan, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, Oregon, Rhode Island, Vermont, and Washington.

Christie agreed to allow New Jersey's program to proceed more than 18 months after his predecessor signed the legislation to create it.

Christie, a former U.S. attorney, said he didn't believe the Justice Department would prosecute New Jersey dispensaries "given the narrow and medically based nature of our program."

Supporters call New Jersey's program the toughest in the nation because it serves a narrow group of patients, prohibits people from growing cannabis for personal use, requires criminal background checks for caretakers who pick up marijuana on behalf of severely ill patients, and limits the number of dispensaries to six - two apiece for its northern, central, and southern regions.

"It's the most restrictive major program out there, and it has an opportunity to set a national standard," Bogolubov said.

Opponents of the program fear a gradual relaxation of the rules.

Steve Demofonte, a legislative liaison of the New Jersey Fraternal Order of Police, said advocates were chipping away until the state allowed profit-making for sellers, a broader group of qualified users, or even outright legalization of marijuana and other substances.

The Coalition for Medical Marijuana New Jersey has already called on politicians to change the regulations, saying they are inconsistent with legislation passed in 2010 to create the program.

The group's executive director, Ken Wolski, takes issue with health department guidelines that require patients and doctors to register, and with the limits on THC - the psychoactive substance in cannabis.

"They're treating the alternative treatment centers more strictly than they deal with pharmacies, which sell much more dangerous drugs," he said.

Police groups are concerned that legalized cannabis operations will attract peripheral crimes, such as break-ins of growing facilities and robberies of patients carrying money and drugs.

"We're looking at an entirely new type of environment where we can expect a rise in crime," Demofonte said.

Bellmawr Mayor Frank Filipek said he would accept a medical-marijuana facility in town so long as the operators addressed concerns from residents and law enforcement.

"I had some problems with it until someone explained how they'd run it and how it was going to help sick people," he said.

Thomas predicted that Compassionate Care would provide 140 jobs in its host community.

abb14.jpg

News Hawk- Jacob Ebel 420 MAGAZINE
Source: philly.com
Author: Joshua Adam Hicks
Copyright: Philadelphia Media Network, Inc.
"Police are concerned with cannabis related crimes", Hah! In my area a young person a week dies from "blues', Roxicodones, and at their costs on the street, every pill addict switches to heroin at only $10 a bag, and are dropping dead from that. And the cops and government are worried about pot crimes, what a F'N JOKE!

great jersey is creeping forward. But i,m still stuck in a hard place my family doctor who has been treating me for over thirty years will not write me a note. and the v.a. forget about it they are feds and well forget about them.
so what do i do where do i go for my doctors note?

i wish i knew. both my drs. said no out of fear of the feds. the only thing i could think of would be going to the health + social service and ask..:goodluck:

like i said my dr. refuses to write note for me and he has been treating me for over thirty years.he knows my pain and problems and the kicker is he knows i smoke pot and have been for over forty years.tired of all the pills the va dumps on us vets.the don,t care take pill not good enough take two yes double up.screw that i,d rather twist up guess i,ll just keep going the way i have.

Just saw my doctor a week ago and he told me that now, the problem in New Jersey is that any Doctor who wants to prescribe medicinal marijuana has to take courses and get a special license and script pad, and the state is going to severely limit the amount of doctors who can, and all the hassles involved he told me that very few people will ever get it legally in NJ. I too have been going to this doctor for nearly 30 years and he is a friend as well. And it just isn't worth it to him to deal with all the bullshit, which is obviously WHY the state is doing this in the first place. So fine, picked up an OZ that night from a local dealer who gets top quality pain pot shipped to him by a private grower in California, and it works great. Just the expense sucks, but for now, what other choice is there? I am nearly 100% sure I'll be moving up to Maine in less than 2 years where you can grow it yourself, and the state is trying to totally legalize it in 2012. And they just so happen to have wonderful wild special mushrooms up in Maine growing in the wild everywhere too, LOL. Hey, we gotta do what is best for us, no matter what. New Jersey will Never have decent access for those who need it unless this governor is out and the next one changes things, but I'm not waiting and hoping for that to happen.
Chuck

this dont suprise me. new jersey has one of the most corrupt government in the nation. they want to keep it illegal, more money for them. i hope they keep it honest here in delaware.time will tell...:thumb:

I told everyone that it wouldn't work in Joisy. Leave it to the bent noses and narcs to supply the so called medical solution in this sad state. I feel sorry for all the sick people who need it and complete animosity to the doctors without any balls to help them. What a F##KED up state. RD :peace::peace::peace:

so glad i fought in a war nobody wanted only to find out that thanks to our goverment
and all the agent orange that runs through my veins can,t get help i need and va pumps us full of pills after all these years do they realy think an pill will keep on working. guess the streets are the only way to go and keep on going so sad.

Back
Top Bottom