Massachusetts Postpones Recreational Sales, Considers Hiring Andrew Freedman

Katelyn Baker

In November, Massachusetts voters approved recreational marijuana; that state was supposed to start legal sales in January 2018 – but now that date has been pushed back at least six months.

Personal possession, use and cultivation of cannabis became legal in Massachusetts on December 15, but last week state lawmakers voted to push back the licensing of any recreational stores until July 1, 2018.

This means that while possession in Massachusetts is legal, the sale of marijuana won't be for at least eighteen months.

"This short delay will allow the necessary time for the legislature to work with stakeholders on improving the new law," Massachusetts Senate President Stan Rosenberg said in a statement. "Luckily, we are in a position where we can learn from the experiences of other states to implement the most responsible recreational marijuana law in the country."

And Colorado is definitely one of those states. After the passage of Amendment 64 in November 2012, Colorado was able to get a system for recreational marijuana sales up and running by January 1, 2014. And other states have definitely taken notice of how smooth implementation has been in Colorado.

The Boston Globe reports that Andrew Freedman, Colorado's director of marijuana coordination, is a contender to be one of three regulators who will over see the recreational marijuana industry in Massachusetts. Freedman says he has not been offered a job by the State of Massachusetts, but working for another state as an employee or a consultant could be an option moving forward – particularly because Colorado's Office of Marijuana Coordination could disappear.

"In the November 1 budget request," Freedman points out, "we asked to discontinue this office with an eye on good government and a recognition that a central coordinating role should be short-term."

And if the office goes, so does Freedman's current job; management of Colorado's cannabis industry would fall to the Colorado Department of Revenue and the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment. As for Freedman? "I will entertain options for the next steps in my life," he says.

LindseyBartlett1.jpg

News Moderator: Katelyn Baker 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Massachusetts Postpones Recreational Sales, Considers Hiring Andrew Freedman
Author: Kate McKee Simmons
Photo Credit: Lindsey Bartlett

I honestly don't understand all of the ins and outs enough to have a opinion but I do know the people of Massachusetts have spoken and I have faith that our vote will be honored in a reasonably timely manner. An extra 6 months is reasonable.

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Respectfully disagree they already have till 2018. 11 months not enough time. Bull

I hear you, prohibition has gone on long enough, and you're absolutely right. I say it's worth the wait, because I have the luxury of having a card, and enough meds. Although, it IS legal to grow today, and if you need some help, i will help you, PM me.

I see the current situation like this. Even though the voters have spoken, there will be those in the Senate that will drag their feet for many reasons that have nothing to do with the vote, or Representing the People. If those that back the bill hold the feetdraggers to the timeline, they will have to more readily accept some of opponents/prohibitionists agenda. It's the negotiations between those two parties, that will lead to the crafting of this law, and I think it's wise to allow the opponents time if needed, so there is nothing given up in the process to get it done by a given date. My fear is that if they rush the implementation, they will invite this outsider and copy some of the worst parts of the CO bill. :Namaste:

Thanks for the offer carestaker. We are fine don't even live in my homestate anymore. Just tired of all the bull by our elected officials. All about money.

Back
Top Bottom