ME: Proposed Recreational Marijuana Law Clears Key Legislative Committee

Ron Strider

A key panel of lawmakers has approved the language of Maine's new recreational marijuana law.

The state's Marijuana Legalization Implementation Committee voted to approve the proposed regulations of Maine's recreational cannabis market.

Sales tax was discussed Thursday- lawmakers laid out how tax revenue would be split up.

They voted to give five percent to towns with retail or cultivation businesses.

Six percent would go to public education, another six percent would fund policing with the rest going to the state's general fund.

The committee also approved of a separate nursery license which would allow retail sale of seeds, seedlings and immature plants.

The panel also addressed concerns about whether the governor would ultimately veto the bill, or whether the full legislature will approve of it.

Committee Chair Senator Roger Katz says lawmakers will have a choice to vote on a reasonable bill or vote for chaos.

"For me there's only two groups of people who ought to be wanting to make sure that this regulatory system gets put in place and those two groups are people who want legalization of marijuana and people who don't want legalization of marijuana," said Katz, (R).

"It is wildly frustrating to have worked nine months on something and know that that might be the outcome, but I think what we have to do is do our job and do the best we can, and to rely on the public to understand that we've done our job and that it's a good bill," said Rep. Teresa Pierce, (D).

The majority of the panel support the measure.

The language of the bill will still need to be reviewed before it can be sent to the full legislature.

Maine_Supreme_Court_-_Linda_Coan_O_Kresik.jpg

News Moderator: Ron Strider 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Proposed Recreational Marijuana Law Clears Key Legislative Committee
Author: Brandon Doyen
Photo Credit: Linda Coan O'Kresik

Back
Top Bottom