Medical Marijuana Bill Likely to Stall Again

Jacob Bell

Wichita Democratic Representative Gail Finney is taking the fight over legalizing medical marijuana to the State Capitol, but will her urgent efforts stall like they did last legislative session? It appears now that the bill is dead upon arrival because of what Finney calls a game of politics.

“Anyone that is seriously concerned about their constituents -- particularly someone that is suffering -- in my opinion it would be less of me not to introduce this bill,” Finney said.

It’s the second year she’s tried to get it passed. Last year, the bill was picked up by the Health and Human Services Committee. But after testimony from supporters and opponents, the bill stalled.

"There was not enough evidence to advance the bill or the fact that legalizing marijuana is in violation of federal law,” said Finney.

This year, Finney says she’s having a hard time even getting it on the agenda to discuss. The committee chair cited timing issues and low support.

"This one here came in either at the end of last week or the first part of this week,” she said. “The last opportunity for any hearing would be Monday, which means I wouldn't even have the time to work a bill."

Finney’s revised bill now refers to “cannabis”’ and not “marijuana” and creates tighter regulations with an Oversight Compassion Board and allows the marijuana to be taxed.

"I do fear that Kansas will be one of the last states to implement the bill,” said Debby Moore, who supports medical marijuana.

Moore has been lobbying for medical marijuana for two decades. Right now, 15 states and the District of Columbia have medical marijuana laws. She feels this bill could gain enough support to join the ranks.

"We could force -- we could render enough voter force that they would have to at least genuinely look at it as a bill,” she said.

Although the bill likely won’t make it this session, Finney says she will continue to introduce it while she is a member of the House. She says despite the controversy, she is not advocating recreational marijuana.

News Hawk- GuitarMan313 420 MAGAZINE
Source: ksnt.com
Copyright: New Vision Television

Back
Top Bottom