Medical Marijuana Grower Looks For Site In Maryland

Jacob Redmond

A Howard County businessman recently visited multiple sites in Cecil County looking for a suitable location to start a medical marijuana farm.

That will depend on his ability to get one of Maryland's 15 growers licenses, which will be issued later this year.
One of the sites his Howard County realtor took him to visit was the former Harbeson-Walker factory on Red Toad Road, which is owned by county council President Robert Hodge.

Cary Millstein, president of Freestate Wellness LLC, sat down with Cecil County officials last week behind closed doors to explain his plans and allow them to ask questions. Hodge attended the meeting, but didn't participate in it, asking Councilman Alan McCarthy to run the meeting.

"It was a little intimidating," Millstein said of the meeting.

"I'm not used to meeting with so many officials at one time," he said. "However, I do feel special because they were trying to understand."

He explained his plans to County Executive Tari Moore, Cecil County Council members, Sheriff Scott Adams, County Attorney Jason Allison, County Planning & Zoning Director Eric Sennstrom, Director of Administration Al Wein and Cecil County Health Officer Stephanie Garrity.

Millstein has been looking in several rural counties, including Cecil, Harford, Frederick and Howard counties to locate an indoor growing operation.

"I'd like to settle on a site very soon," Millstein said. "The ideal growing site would be somewhat isolated, but still accessible."

Millstein has looked at buildings from 15,000 square feet to 100,000 square feet in a variety of areas that are zoned industrial. He is looking at a $16 million investment over 10 years, and estimates he'll be able to create 100 jobs that pay from $15 to $60 an hour, he said.

"I told Cecil County officials that I'm only interesting in a growing operation there, but I'm exploring all options, including combining a growing operation with a dispensary," he said.

A revised medical marijuana law passed in 2014 allows for 15 growing operations statewide and two dispensaries for every senatorial district, or a total of 94, during the first year of operation with an option of adding more dispensaries after the end of 2016.

Applications for licenses will be available in June.

Millstein isn't sure how much interest there will be in Maryland for sure, but he's guessing it will be fairly substantial.

Medical marijuana is now legal in 23 states, as well as the District of Columbia.

An estimated 18 bills dealing with marijuana are making their way through the Maryland General Assembly this year, many of which would loosen restrictions further.

Millstein said he doesn't have to get approval from any county in order to open his business. It is tightly licensed and regulated by the state under draft regulations that were approved in November. Final approval is expected soon from Maryland Secretary of Health and Mental Hygiene Van T. Mitchell.

"But, being accepted by the community is important to me," Millstein said.

He told county officials that regulations require high security measures at the facility, organized inspections and high-quality control measures.

Licenses are $125,000 per year for growers and $40,000 per year for dispensaries, renewable every two years.

Hodge said this week that if Millstein continues to express interest in Cecil County, he will stay out of it.

"I don't want any potential to exist for a conflict of interest from me," he said. "I think elected officials all over the state are going to be faced with this type of new business in their jurisdiction. You can't stop it."

Hodge said many of his county colleagues asked good questions that Millstein didn't have answers for.

"So, in my mind, the ball is back in his court to answer our questions," he added.

McCarthy said he is totally against the proposal to locate a medical marijuana growing operation in Cecil County.

"The health hazards are indisputable," he said. "It's just a foot in the door to recreational marijuana."

Millstein said he's following this path because he's passionate about helping people who could benefit from medical marijuana.

"I'm all about health," he said. "People here have been deprived of serious medicinal relief that can help them."
He is working with a board of advisers and other partners for the operation and management of the business, and would consider a partnership with the jurisdiction for a percent of profits.

Millstein said he thought the Cecil County officials were very cautious during the meeting.

"I went into it with very little expectations," he said. "They were not supportive, but they also didn't oppose it."

He said he's waiting to hear from them and he's willing to return.

"But, if it's a definite, 'No,' just let me know as soon as possible," he said.

13092.jpg

News Moderator: Jacob Redmond 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Medical marijuana grower looks for site in Cecil County - MyEasternShoreMD: State Regional
Author: Cheryl Mattix
Photo Credit: INews Network
Website: MyEasternShoreMD: Classified Ads, Jobs, Obituaries, Sports and News on the Eastern Shore, MD

Back
Top Bottom