Medical Marijuana In South Dakota

Robert Celt

The use of marijuana for medical purposes has been a controversial issue for many years, some have even tried getting it legalized through the South Dakota Legislature and with ballot measures.
Monday night, Black Hills State University-Rapid City held an academic lecture discussing medical marijuana in the Mount Rushmore State.

Opponent Pennington County State's Attorney Mark Vargo and proponent Bob Newland, presented their thoughts on the legalization of medical marijuana.
Newland says he's been lobbying the legislature for about 20 years to reform marijuana laws in South Dakota.

Newland says, "I think that cannabis should be legal, period, but I think it's particularly ironic that the people most in need of cannabis are the ones least likely to be able to get it, because anybody who is reasonably mobile and reasonably social can get marijuana in South Dakota."

But Vargo disagrees, saying when Colorado legalized marijuana, the use in children under the age of 18 increased dramatically, adding that proves that once it's out there in the system, it gets to people it's not intended for.

Vargo says, "I believe that if the proponents of medical marijuana want marijuana to be available as a tool, then they should stop treating it like a toy. I believe that any kind of system that attempts to have a different prescription system for one drug out of thousands is doomed to failure and is unwise for the State of South Dakota to adopt.

A bill to set up a selling and growing operation for patients was killed in the legislature this month, an amended bill is being heard now which would allow CBD oil only, which Newland says is only beneficial to some epileptic patients.
Vargo says if there is an answer to all of this it has to come from the federal level first, and from there they would be able to lay out the consequences for people who abuse prescriptions.

grassroots-vermont-marijuana-credit-rinny-wager.JPG

News Moderator: Robert Celt 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Medical Marijuana In South Dakota
Author: Tessa Thomas
Photo Credit: Rinny Wager

Back
Top Bottom