Medical Marijuana Protesters Urge Feds To Stand Down

Jacob Bell

MEDFORD, Ore.– Dozens of medical marijuana protesters took to downtown Medford, demanding their medicine back.

Southern Oregon NORML organized a rally after recent raids in the area. Protesters paraded down streets and even stopped in front of federal buildings. Organizers say they want federal agents to respect Oregon law.

"We're not going away. We live here and pay taxes and vote -- we deserve respect for our medicine," Southern Oregon NORML Director Lori Duckworth said.

Growers and patients urged federal leaders to stop raiding gardens they believe are legal.

"I didn't do anything wrong," protester James Anderson said.

Anderson's garden was raided a couple of weeks ago and he is out of a job. He says he's being punished for something he didn't do.

"It's frustrating -- I didn't know the government could be so ignorant," he said.

Among three raids in Southern Oregon, more than 170 patients were affected, including Beverly Beullard.

"I put my feet on the floor and I'm instantly in tears. This helped my pain so dramatically," she said.

Beullard is in a wheelchair and says her pain is unbearable. She is protesting to help others who need the medication just as much as she does.

"It's very important to so many people," she said.

A U.S. Department of Justice spokesperson said the raids are not about whether sick people should be able to use marijuana for medicine. She says the issue is that the law has been exploited and people are selling drugs far beyond what was allowed by state law. The statement goes on to say medical marijuana is being found in large quantities out of state.

However, protesters say they're following laws and are not giving up without a fight.

colorado.jpg

News Hawk- Jacob Ebel 420 MAGAZINE
Source: ktvl.com
Author: Jenica Villamor
Copyright: Freedom Communications
Website: Medical marijuana protestors urge feds to stand down

Back
Top Bottom