Medical Marijuana Student Kept Off Campus

Jacob Bell

CO - A frustrated father of a Sierra High School student believes his son's medical marijuana should not prevent him from going to school.

"We finally found something that worked for a rescue medication," Shan Moore, the father of a medical marijuana student, said.

Moore's son has an extremely rare medical condition called Myoclonus Diaphragmatic Flutter that causes him to have massive spasms in his diaphragm.

He's the only person in Colorado to have the disease.

The attacks are so intense they can last anywhere from 30 minutes to 48 hours. At the beginning of every attack Moore's son takes a 10 mg marijuana throat lozenge.

This past Friday as Moore was meeting his son with his prescription, he got a phone call from Sierra High School.

"I get a phone call from my mother that the school called and said he can't return because he'll be under the influence of THC," Moore said.

School officials said they're following Colorado state protocol, which states: "A patient or primary caregiver shall not possess medical marijuana or otherwise engage in the use of medical marijuana in or on the grounds of a school or in a school bus."

The Sierra High School student takes his medical marijuana off campus, but school officials said if a student looks to be impaired or disruptive they will address the behavior and then respond. In this case, their response is to prohibit the student from returning to campus after taking a marijuana lozenge. It's a decision that the high school student at the center of the dispute isn't happy about.

"All my friends are getting their education and growing up to be something, and I felt like I wasn't going to amount to anything," the student said.

Moore calls medical marijuana "a miracle drug" for his son.

News Hawk- GuitarMan313 420 MAGAZINE
Source: coloradoconnection.com
Author: Sade Malloy
Copyright: Barrington Broadcasting Group, LLC

Back
Top Bottom