Medical 'Pot' Can Keep Families In N.J.

Thank you to the Times for covering a state Assembly committee medical marijuana bill hearing on June 4, and the follow-up editorial, "Pass medical marijuana bill," on June 8.

I testified before the Assembly's health committee and was very happy that the members voted with compassion (to release the bill for a full Assembly vote) for people like me and families like mine.

David Evans, who testified in opposition to the bill, said, "We don't run medicine in this country based on anecdotal evidence." I say: People's pain and suffering are not anecdotes!

My son Michael, who is 25, is in a wheelchair due to muscular dystrophy and suffers from severe pain, in addition to dangerous side effects from his legally prescribed narcotics. After visiting countless doctors and trying numerous medications in search for relief, my son became desperate and tried medical marijuana. It miraculously improved his quality of life so much that he left his family and friends in New Jersey to live in a state where this medicine is legal and accessible.

Why can't my son live the best life possible here in New Jersey? Morphine, OxyContin and other prescription drugs with the potential for abuse are legal, and any caregiver can pick up this medicine for a patient too sick to get to the pharmacy.

Before passing the bill, the Assembly should put back in the provision (removed from a Senate-passed version) that would allow caregivers to pick up patients' medical marijuana at alternative treatment centers and they should also let patients grow their medicine themselves. Insurance won't pay for medicinal marijuana, and patients living on fixed incomes won't be able to afford to relieve their suffering.

News Hawk- Ganjarden 420 MAGAZINE ® - Medical Marijuana Publication & Social Networking
Source: NJ.com
Author: Christiane Oliveri
Copyright: 2009 New Jersey On-Line LLC.

Back
Top Bottom