Medical-Pot Dispensary Owner Has Few Options Left In Fight With Windsor Officials

Medical-marijuana dispensary owner Lazarus Pino is running out of options.

Facing $26,000 in fines and the end of his court appeals, Pino was evicted from his Windsor office late last month and is now providing home delivery of medicinal weed to about 50 clients.

Pino says the city is trying to break him and his business, but he won't relent.

"These people are thieves, and if I let them, they will take anything and everything from me," Pino said. "I have a hat with a saying on it that defines what I believe: 'Don't Tread on Me.' "

But city officials say they have been fair with Pino, who ran his MediGrow business in violation of a Dec. 17 moratorium on new marijuana dispensaries in Windsor.

"Mr. Pino was afforded a fair shake and due process," said Windsor Mayor John Vazquez. "It's unfortunate it's come to this."

Pino has been fighting Windsor in municipal court and Weld District Court. The disputes primarily stem from the moratorium violation – which Pino denies – and a condemnation order issued by the city declaring MediGrow unfit for human occupancy because of building-code violations.

The city had been fining Pino $600 a day since Jan. 5 – $300 for operating in defiance of the moratorium and $300 for being open without proper building permits.

By April 28, Pino and MediGrow had racked up $62,100 in fines, according to city officials.

Pino missed a deadline to appeal to district court to fight the condemnation notice, which allowed the city to shut the business down, city officials said.

The building-code violations were dismissed by a judge who cut the fine to about $26,000, Vazquez said.

Pino now faces a Thursday sentencing hearing for the moratorium violation. Pino says he is looking for a new lawyer and a way to keep fighting Windsor.

"This is about America and justice," Pino said. "That is why I won't give up now."

NewsHawk: Ganjarden: 420 MAGAZINE
Source: The Denver Post
Author: Monte Whaley
Copyright: 2010 The Denver Post
Website: Medical-pot dispensary owner has few options left in fight with Windsor officials

* Thanks to MedicalNeed for submitting this article

Back
Top Bottom