Meth-Marijuana bill becomes law

XLE420

Possessing small amounts of marijuana, even in the privacy of the home, is illegal in Alaska - at least for now.

Gov. Frank Murkowski on Friday signed a bill recriminalizing pot possession. The law will be challenged in court, according to the American Civil Liberties Union of Alaska, leading to a likely judicial review of Alaska's marijuana laws.

Another provision of the bill, which is not in dispute, would make it tougher to buy ingredients used in making methamphetamine.

In a press release, Murkowski said the state's current marijuana laws send the wrong message to Alaska's youth.

"We believe House Bill 149 will allow the state to successfully defend the outlawing of today's stronger and more dangerous marijuana in the courts."

The governor is seeking to overturn the 30-year-old landmark Alaska Supreme Court decision that legalized the use of small amounts of marijuana.

While the court then ruled that the right to privacy was far more important than any harm that could result from use of the drug, Murkowski argues marijuana is a far more potent and dangerous drug than it was in the 1970s.

The ACLU of Alaska said it would file for immediate injunctive relief in Superior Court in Juneau on Monday.

Executive director Michael MacLeod-Ball said the lawsuit also would seek a permanent injunction against the marijuana provisions of the law which he said run afoul of Alaskans' constitutional rights to privacy.

Under the new law, pot possession of 4 ounces or more is a felony. Possession of less than 4 ounces but more than an ounce is a misdemeanor, punishable by up to a year in jail. Less than one ounce is a misdemeanor punishable by up to 90 days in jail.

The measure was controversial in the Legislature among privacy advocates. It also became bound up in a procedural dispute between the House and Senate until it passed in the final days of the regular legislative session.

The methamphetamine provisions of the law restrict the sale of many over-the-counter medicines that are used in making the drug.

The law requires a customer to sign a logbook before buying a medicine with an ephedrine base, such as Sudafed, and makes it illegal to sell those ephedrine-based drugs to anyone under the age of 16.

Newshawk: SX420 - 420 Magazine
Source: Anchorage Daily News
Author: Anne Sutton, Associated Press Writer
Copyright: 2006, The Anchorage Daily News
Website: adn.com | Alaska News, Jobs, Cars, Homes, Rentals, Classifieds and more

ya the guy sounds like a real ass and he is supposed to be helping his state
now the amphetamine thing isnt bad i think but his pot ideals are real fucked up
someone should tell, mantuska valley this kind of shit is happening

get real this is just a joke meth is man made and it make people in to junkies

most of all you die from th in side out. marijuana makes you eat and helps you

with pain you can not get addicted unless you have a weak mind .

I call out BULL SHIT!

ACLU has just filed suit against the State of Alaska. :cheesygrinsmiley: :peace:

SX420 said:
I posted that, but it doesnt seem to be up. They dont like my news storys :(

Well keep posting! :peace: :cheesygrinsmiley:

Never fear - we are following this news. We Alaskans almost passed the legalization bill last time. We are hoping that we can educate those few who are still on the fence, who will make a difference at the poles next election time. Gov. Murkowski may be good for some things, and damn few, but he is trying to include Pot in a bill that should be targeting strictly harsher and potentially more dangerous drugs ONLY! We are fighting the good fight and hope to emerge victorious soon.

:smokin:

Good luck. Just remember that you have very little real power in the eyes of your state government... apparently :-/

I am very curious as to why poloticians who blatantly ignore people's choices remain in office? I mean, if this guy had passed something that prohibited alcohol use, he'd have hell coming down on his head... Yet he passes a law that nearly 80 percent of the citizens are against, and all that happens is the ACLU files a lawsuit, which, no offense, will get bogged down, and take forever to be unsuccessfully resolved (hopefully you'll have a better outcome, but it's not looking bright). If he'd gotten a law passed on anything other than marijuana that an overwhelming marjority of the people did not agree with, he'd be out of office, wouldn't he?

I would, personally, be influenced to wright to this fucker, AT LEAST, if not full out try to expunge him from politics (if I had that power :p)

Back
Top Bottom