MI: City Council Encourages Residents To Talk About New Laws On Marijuana

Katelyn Baker

Jesse Riggs wants Monroe County residents to have access to medical marijuana.

The Newport resident was among a dozen who spoke in favor of medical marijuana during a public hearing on Tuesday at Monroe City Council.

Though no decisions were made at the meeting, council encouraged public comment on a package of new state laws that took effect Dec. 20.

"This is very important to me," Mr. Riggs said. He said he wanted a safe place and source of products for medical marijuana patients.

"There are dispensaries along I-94 from Lake Erie to Lake Michigan, but none of the patients in Monroe County can get access," he said. "I think that's sad. We have veterans, chronically-ill and terminally-ill people who could benefit from this."

Gov. Rick Snyder signed the legislation which allows local authorities to determine whether or not dispensaries and related activities will be authorized to operate within a community. According to the act, a marijuana facility shall not operate in a municipality unless the municipality has adopted an ordinance that authorizes that type of facility.

Beginning mid-September, applications can be submitted to the state from interested parties for dispensaries, grow facilities and other activities in communities that 'opt-in' to participate and adopt authorizing ordinances.

Rex Price of Monroe has a 17-year-old son who has seizures.

"We took him to every doctor," he said. "He has a shelf full of medication. Once he got oil, he has been seven months without a seizure."

Monroe resident Rosemarie Voss said she believes in buying locally and hopes the city will consider allowing people that ability when it comes to medical marijuana. She said medical marijuana can help people with addictions.

"It can be a cure for people with heroin addictions," Ms. Voss said. "We know heroin is a horrible problem in this town. It is a natural approach."

She encouraged council to be "open-minded."

Anqunette Jamison Sarfoh, a former Fox 2 Detroit morning anchor, told council she uses medical marijuana for her multiple sclerosis.

"I'm here to support medical marijuana patients," she said. "I didn't use it until I was diagnosed with MS. Now, I'm working with MILegalize to implement a workable solution for cannabis reform."

Mrs. Jamison Sarfoh said she understands the issue is not "an easy" one.

"We recognize this is not easy and this is not popular," she said. "We know there are people who aren't here who have some serious reservations about it and we want to address those concerns and issues."

Monroe County Prosecutor William Paul Nichols encouraged the council to be cautious and do their homework.

"Take your time and investigate the issues and learn as much as you can since this is new legislation," Mr. Nichols said. "Do your homework. Look at Colorado. Look at the effect it has on a lot of other areas, traffic accidents and death, effects on youth, ER visits."

Monroe Mayor Robert E. Clark thanked those in attendance for helping the city "start the process" on the discussion. He said council and city staff will continue discussing the matter.

flickr2.PNG

News Moderator: Katelyn Baker 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: City Council Encourages Residents To Talk About New Laws On Marijuana
Author: Danielle Portteus
Photo Credit: Flickr

Back
Top Bottom