Middleboro Voters To Be Asked Where They Want A MMJ Dispensary Located In Town

Truth Seeker

Selectmen have decided to have residents at the October special town meeting decide where a medical marijuana dispensary should be located in town.

Selectmen voted unanimously this week to include an article on the warrant for the fall town meeting, which is set for Oct. 7 at 7 p.m. in the high school, that would allow a medical marijuana dispensary under a general use zone by special permit.

"Most importantly we are going to give the town the opportunity to decide its own fate," said Board of Selectmen Vice Chairman Allin Frawley.

He said communities can't ban dispensaries, but can adopt zoning bylaws to regulate them.

Town Manager Charles J. Cristello urged selectmen to ask town meeting voters to place a zoning restriction on any dispensary.

"Right now your zoning allows (the dispensary) in any area where retail is allowed, which is just about anywhere except residential zones," said Cristello.

Selectman Leilani Dalpe suggested created a general use zone that could keep it from the downtown area.

Selectman John Knowlton said he preferred to restrict the dispensary to the town's adult-zoned area.
"I feel it comes down to a safety issue," said Knowlton, who said the dispensaries should be kept away from children.

Frawley disagreed, saying, "I think we may miss an opportunity for a business if we don't properly zone this. I don't think a medical marijuana dispensary would be such a bad idea if properly located within the town."

Frawley noted that Plymouth County can have up to five dispensaries and there are 19 applicants.

Resident Hal Brown told selectmen he supported a dispensary in town as his wife, who is battling cancer, suffers from nausea and has found relief for six hours after smoking marijuana.

Health Officer Jeanne Spalding said selectmen, who also serve as the town's Board of Health, could regulate the dispensary.

Spalding urged selectmen to hold an informational workshop study group and to educate the public.

MMJ_Prescription1.jpg

News Hawk- Truth Seeker 420 MAGAZINE ®
Source: enterprisenews.com
Author: Eileen Reece
Website: Middleboro voters to be asked where they want a medical marijuana dispensary located in town - Brockton, MA - The Enterprise

Back
Top Bottom