Montana: Bill Would Allow Medical Marijuana For PTSD

Jacob Redmond

Should people suffering post-traumatic stress disorder be allowed to use medical marijuana to treat it?

The House Human Services Committee heard a bill Monday to add PTSD to the list of ailments that qualify for medical marijuana.

Proponents of House Bill 456, sponsored by state Rep. Rae Peppers (D-Lame Deer) told the committee that veterans and other trauma survivors should have that option.

They cited the shortcomings in mental health services for veterans.

"I ask that you take a hard look at how much our warriors need options to deal with their suffering," said Peppers, herself the mother of two veterans. "I don't think our warriors expected to come home feeling like this. I'm pretty sure they went to war strong and proud."

Dustin Monroe, a combat veteran, said: "It's real and it's a hard thing to deal with. So I think if we can offer any service to our veterans, I think, you know, this isn't a party issue. This is doing the right thing."

Said Peppers: "I don't think our warriors expected to come home feeling like this. I'm pretty sure they went to war string and proud."

Talyn Lang, a former board member of the Montana Medical Growers Association, and a Marine veteran, noted that more soldiers and veterans now die from suicide more than from combat.

No one spoke in opposition to the bill.

15268.jpg

News Moderator: Jacob Redmond 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Bill would allow medical marijuana for PTSD - KXLF.com Butte MT Continuous News Butte MT
Author: Sanjay Talwani
Photo Credit: None Found

Back
Top Bottom