MT: Anti-Marijuana Group Dinged For Campaign Violation

Katelyn Baker

Billings - Safe Montana's founder directed a contractor not to release the contract for a series of anti-medical marijuana billboards, according to the Montana Commissioner of Political Practices.

Commissioner Jonathan Motl released his decision late Thursday, saying that Safe Montana should have reported the billboard expenses, which totaled $20,560, earlier than its October financial report.

He also ruled that the group was improperly set up to both support its own ballot initiative and oppose another.

The campaign complaint was filed in September by Jeff Krauss, treasurer for Montana Citizens for I-182. The ballot initiative would expand medical marijuana in the state.

In his investigation, Motl obtained a contract between Safe Montana founder Steve Zabawa and Lamar, the billboard company, which was signed in mid-February.

Motl said that he requested the document from a Lamar representative, but the employee "refused to produce a copy of the contract, saying his refusal was directed by his customer, Safe Montana."

Motl issued a subpoena for the contract, which was fulfilled Thursday morning.

"In our judgment, this is a pretty substantial offense," he said.

Krauss had alleged that Safe Montana should have had dealings with Lamar prior to the final invoice date of Aug. 29. That invoice was reported on the group's October financial disclosure.

Motl wrote that the February contract created a financial obligation and should have been reported.

Reached on Thursday, Zabawa called Motl politically motivated.

"For him to come out and make some type of judgment without all the facts, it is actually irreparably harming Safe Montana," he said.

Zabawa also characterized the February contract as a "reservation" and said that he was going to fulfill Motl's request for the February contract, but his attorney's hadn't compiled the information yet. Motl requested the document on Tuesday.

The February document is labeled "contract," and it reserved billboard space in Missoula, Helena, Billings, Butte, Great Falls and the Flathead Valley. It's three pages long.

Asked why he was unable to produce the contract in three days, Zabawa said that Lamar hadn't returned it to him.

"I signed it. They never signed it and it was never given back to me," he said.

The contract included in Motl's findings was signed by Zabawa on Feb. 16 and by two Lamar representatives a day later.

Other findings

Motl also ruled that Safe Montana was not properly set up to support it's own initiative, I-176, and oppose I-182.

Safe Montana first introduced I-176 to repeal the state's medical marijuana program but failed to collect enough signatures to reach the ballot. It then pivoted to actively oppose I-182.

Motl cited state law that defines a ballot committee as a group set up to support or oppose one issue. He ruled that Safe Montana should have set up another committee to oppose I-182.

He also cited Safe Montana for three late reports, as well as vague expense descriptions.

Motl said that a punishment will be determined at a later time.

The Commissioner still has two more campaign complaints on his docket related to an increasingly heated medical marijuana debate. Both were filed by Safe Montana against Montana Citizens for I-182 and the Montana Cannabis Industry Association.

LarryMayer.jpg

News Moderator: Katelyn Baker 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Anti-Marijuana Group Dinged For Campaign Violation
Author: Matt Hudson
Photo Credit: Larry Mayer

Back
Top Bottom