MT: Cancer Support Center Hosts Medical Cannabis Discussion

Robert Celt

A cancer support center in Bozeman held a medical marijuana forum on Thursday. A panel of cancer patients and survivors illustrated how medical cannabis helps them through their pain and symptoms, while answering questions about issues and social stigmas surrounding the drug.

One panelist said using the drug helps her be herself again around her children.

"I felt like I could be there for them, and I could get my energy up, I could eat something, I could just be present," she said.

Katie Mazurech, another panelist who is fighting stage three breast cancer, said she has not been able to get a medical marijuana card since the application process has slowed after the Montana Supreme Court upheld stricter medical cannabis laws.

The tougher state regulations would limit providers to three patients and also subject providers to state inspections without a warrant.

"I'm stalled out from getting medication that I believe would very much help my treatment and my quality of life right now," said Mazurech.

Currently, there are about 14,000 patients enrolled for medical marijuana; only 2,000 patients function as their own providers. If the Montana Supreme Court decision stands, thousands of patients will not be able to get their medicine from a provider and would need to either grow their own or find their marijuana another way.

Bozeman police are not certain if any illegal trafficking is in the future, but they are not preparing for anything right now.

"We do care about the drugs that are coming into our community. I can tell you right now, largely, we have drugs in our community that we're certainly more concerned about," said Bozeman police Captain Andy Knight.

One panelist at the discussion said if the stricter laws continue, she would have to move out of the state. Another said she would have to simply suffer. Most of the panelists agreed prescription drugs have terrible side effects, and that medical cannabis improves their lives.

"We are not bad people, we are sick people, and there's a difference there. And I feel that we are being persecuted a bit for being sick," said Mazurech.

Medical marijuana is legal in 23 states and the District of Columbia. Some states offer reciprocity, but people should check the rules of where they are heading before then.

Federal authorities can arrest a medical marijuana patient for traveling across state lines with the drug, even if just traveling between states where it is legal.

Medical marijuana patients also cannot legally carry products on airlines because the Transportation Security Administration is governed by federal laws.

medicalmari2.jpg

News Moderator: Robert Celt 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: MT: Cancer Support Center Hosts Medical Cannabis Discussion
Author: Josh Kristianto
Photo Credit: None found

Back
Top Bottom