Muskegon County Medical Marijuana Users Fear Regulation

Muskegon County residents turned out to apply for permits to use medical marijuana Friday, despite possible zoning regulations on growers and dispensers.

The cities of Muskegon, Muskegon Heights and Roosevelt Park recently placed six-month moratoriums on the development of medical marijuana facilities. They are considering zoning regulations on growers and dispensaries, but no specific regulations under consideration have been announced.

The application event, hosted by the Muskegon chapter of the National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws (NORML) at the Fairfield Inn on Mount Garfield Road, aimed to help potential patients correctly fill out their paperwork. It was the second event of its kind in Muskegon County, according to Beth Singleton, executive secretary of the Michigan chapter of NORML.

Muskegon resident Vern Ainsworth, who said he was applying for a permit because he suffers from chronic pain from a work-related injury, questioned the city's decision to consider regulating medical marijuana facilities.

"My only thought is why they didn't do all this (regulating) before it was (voted) legal," he said.

Singleton said she is concerned regulators will attempt to turn medical marijuana into a government-run business. She said members of the local chapter of NORML will meet with city officials next week to discuss their concerns

"Our biggest issue is with the economy the way it is, the state of health care, people need to be able to grow their own," Singleton said. "With the state of unemployment, people can't afford to hand that money back to the government."

Derek Antol, exective director of the Michigan branch of NORML and a medical marijuana user for arthritis, said the group agrees with city officials in opposing marijuana dispensaries.

However, he said zoning regulations might cause problems for caregivers who want to lease another building because of space and the fear their homes might be burglarized.

Stacie Van Dam, a North Muskegon resident who applied for a medical marijuana permit because of a blood condition leading to headaches and dizziness, said she opposes new zoning ordinances.

"I think it's just going to make it harder (for patients)," she said.

Bill Camp, a Muskegon resident applying for a permit because of chronic pain in his back and neck and muscle spasms, said he wasn't worried about potential zoning ordinances.

"I don't think (more regulation) will happen here in Muskegon," he said. "There are a lot of people who are against (regulations)."

Van Dam said she thinks attempts to regulate medical marijuana might have been prompted by misconceptions about users.

"I'm a mom, I have three kids, ... I've never been in trouble with the law," she said. "I think it's a lot safer than most pain medications you can be on."

Richard Krist of Muskegon, who was applying for a medical marijuana permit because of fibromyalgia, a pain disorder, said he thinks new regulations are unnecessary.

"What are (city officials) so afraid of?" he said. "What's the worst marijuana's going to do? It's going to make you watch 'Spongebob' with your niece and nephew and order a pizza."

NewsHawk: Ganjarden: 420 MAGAZINE
Source: MLive.com
Author: Megan Hart
Copyright: 2010 Michigan Live LLC
Website: Muskegon County medical marijuana users fear regulation

* Thanks to MedicalNeed for submitting this article

Back
Top Bottom