National Marijuana Group Plans Ohio Medical Marijuana Amendment For 2016 Ballot

Robert Celt

A major national player in the marijuana legalization movement plans to put an Ohio medical marijuana measure on the November ballot.

Marijuana Policy Project, based in Washington D.C., plans to propose a constitutional amendment establishing a medical marijuana system similar to those in 23 other states and the District of Columbia, according to the organization's website. The Ohio amendment would allow people with certain "serious medical conditions" to purchase marijuana from retail stores or grow their own after obtaining physician approval.

The state would license businesses to grow, process, test, and sell marijuana to approved patients.

MPP led successful recreational marijuana initiative efforts in Colorado and Alaska and medical marijuana measures in Michigan, Montana, and Arizona. The organization has also worked with state legislatures to write medical marijuana laws.

Grassroots marijuana legalization efforts have struggled to qualify for the ballot in Ohio because they lack the money to hire signature gatherers and run a robust education campaign. Ohio has not been on the radar for MPP and other major funders looking to expand legal marijuana.

Last year, MPP quietly supported Issue 3, Ohio's failed recreational marijuana amendment, but did not advertise its support or contribute to the campaign.

ResponsibleOhio, the political action committee backing Issue 3, was the first pro-marijuana group to collect the large number of signatures required, spending more than $20 million on its campaign. But the amendment limited the 10 commercial growing licenses to groups of campaign investors and would have legalized recreational marijuana, which divided Ohio's pro-pot advocates and attracted hundreds of opponents statewide.

MPP has not formally announced its 2016 effort, but it posted a job opening Wednesday evening for an Ohio-based campaign manager. The posting says much of the campaign will be subcontracted through a consulting firm in Columbus.

It was not known Wednesday evening whether that firm would be the Strategy Network, which collected signatures for and ran the Issue 3 campaign. Strategy Network founder Ian James co-founded ResponsibleOhio and was the face of the campaign.

James' co-founder Jimmy Gould and Issue 3 author Chris Stock said last week they are not working on any ballot initiatives this year and instead want to work with state lawmakers to legalize medical marijuana.

After the November election, state lawmakers pledged to study the issue and gauge Ohioans' feelings toward medical marijuana, nudged forward by the possibility of future ballot measures from outside groups.

Cannabis_Plant26.jpg

News Moderator: Robert Celt 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: National Marijuana Group Plans Ohio Medical Marijuana Amendment For 2016 Ballot
Author: Jackie Borchardt
Photo Credit: Glen Stubbe

IF it comes with More Penalties ( which it will ), No thanks..
It seems that with most quasi legal MMJ laws that more penalties are put in place than relaxations of the law.
Right now Ohioans can have up to 100 grams of cannabis and it is a ticketable offense.
What will the penalty be for having say 3 ounces be once and if this were to become law?
Some states medical programs have a lower possession rate than the General population in Ohio does.
Again No thanks.
More rules
More restrictions
More criminals created that were not there before.
We do not want / need a bill like Illinois or Montana or New York.
Those restrictive laws are not good laws for a wide variety of patients.
No thanks

Marijuana Policy Project's Medical Marijuana efforts have been both effective and, as far as I know, always an improvement n existing laws. The Medical Marijuana law successfully implemented in Massachussetts allows no plant count medical home grows and up to 10oz of 'useable' medical herb with no penalties. The recreational laws were left untouched.

The worst thing I think MPP ever did was half-heartedly support the "Responsible Ohio" efforts in Ohio.

When I read this article a few things jumped out at me and I personally take issue with them.

The Ohio amendment would allow people with certain "serious medical conditions" to purchase marijuana from retail stores or grow their own after obtaining physician approval.

Really? What if my medical condition does not fall under their list of "serious medical conditions"? Tough shit? Get a more serious condition if you want to be legal, till then your a criminal if you medicate with MJ.

The organization has also worked with state legislatures to write medical marijuana laws.
ResponsibleOhio, the political action committee backing Issue 3, was the first pro-marijuana group to collect the large number of signatures required, spending more than $20 million on its campaign. But the amendment limited the 10 commercial growing licenses to groups of campaign investors and would have legalized recreational marijuana, which divided Ohio's pro-pot advocates and attracted hundreds of opponents statewide.

Lets look at this for one second. They helped to write the law that would only allow 10 growers to be licensed, which by the way would be the naturally from their campaign INVESTORS. Key word here! INVESTORS, not contributors. These people use INVESTORS who in return expect to see a return on their investment. What I see is more of the same. Like our politicians, they call it campaign contributions/super-packs but we all know they are investors who in turn expect a return on their investments.
Perhaps this organization has done some positive things over the years, but this is not one of them. With friends like this who needs enemies. It stinks of greed all the way out to Oregon and I am sick of that stench.

If the MPP even halfheartedly supported this group, perhaps they need to look inside themselves and ask themselves "Are they really about ending this prohibition so everyone is treated fairly and equal under the laws of this country, or are they willing to sacrifice some of us, so that they can move the agenda ahead at any cost.
I say we stand fast and strong. The people (public) have made their feelings known loud and clear, we want this prohibition to be over and done with. We have the majority and the base is growing every day. Do not sell our brothers and sisters out just to keep forward momentum, that momentum is here already and not going away, we just need to keep speaking out and letting our voices be heard.
Stay strong and vigilant.:circle-of-love:

Back
Top Bottom