NE: Group Fights To Legalize Marijuana With New Petitioning Office

Katelyn Baker

Omaha - You'll get to vote on whether to make marijuana legal in Nebraska two years from now, that's if one group has its way.

It has now opened an office in Omaha that it will use to try to convince you, but at least one state lawmaker says that's going to be an uphill battle.

Krystal Gabel said, "We can make this happen and it's a really exciting feeling for Nebraska."
Gabel is part of the group Legal Marijuana Now.

"Let us live with the freedom like alcohol users have, that tobacco users have...it just touches my heart how many people could use it medically. They are being forced on prescription drugs."

It's why Gabel wants people to come to the group's new office in south Omaha and sign a petition. She wants you to vote two years from now to legalize pot "to completely remove all fines and penalties for possessing an ounce or less of marijuana."

State Senator Merv Riepe says trying to make this happen is going to be a difficult fight.

"I don't know who they would look to in the legislature to carry a bill that would expand or legalize marijuana."
Riepe says he thinks it's a bad financial deal for the state.

"Legalizing it would cost, I think, more money than we'd ever make in revenue...I just think that it's not a good precedent to set and I don't think it leads to responsible behavior."

However, Gabel and others won't be giving up.

The petitioning office is open every Monday through Thursday from 6-9 p.m. until July 2018. It's located at 3309 R Street.

Gabel says on Monday night about 40 people signed the petition. About 100,000 signatures are needed to get the initiative on the November 2018 ballot.

Capture151.PNG

News Moderator: Katelyn Baker 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Group Fights To Legalize Marijuana With New Petitioning Office
Author: Caiti Blase
Photo Credit: Fox 42

Back
Top Bottom