Need Help With Personal Cfl Closet Grow

VCxDeMoN

420 Member
Closet

I currently have a shelf in the closet that is 3ft 2in x 3ft 6in x 1ft 2in. So far i have two 65w 6500k lights of america model 9266, one 13w spiral cfl with 900 lumens , one 24" t8 8000k ,one 12" t8 8000k ( was laying around not sure if beneficial at all )i also have one osculating fan mounted above on wall that has a temp set to where it shuts off at the selected temp , along with one vertical tower osculating fan with just low med high settings (i have a small PC fan i was gunna put over the light thats hot to try n cool - thoughts on it ??) i was planning on getting a few single spiral cfls with sockets to suspend also but i set up what i have and for some reason i dont remember the 65watter being hot. Well one of then feels way hotter than its twin. Anyone know a reason this might be? Also i am looking to find out what everyones opinion is of what i should use to correctly supply this space with proper lighting for a small personal grow of just a few plants .ive held off due to the heat issue kinda tripping me out.also i believe the person i got the 65w from wired them completely wrong. ( there is just a simple extension cord spliced to it, but it has been working fine. I connected ita twin to it n both produced light and seemed fine ( of course im no professional) but the second one did seem to run hot . The temp in my room with everything going was a little above 80 . Im seeking advice and guidance from someone with more knowledge than me on the matter. Any help with this i would be truly gratefu! Also ill put some pics of closet on bottom so its easier to see whats going on haha

Some guidelines for lighting small grow spaces:
1. avoid lots of surface area that isn't reflective. Try to keep your grow space area walls reflective with either flat white paint of reflective foil. Otherwise a fair amount of your light won't bounce around to hit the plant, but will just be absorbed by the room.
2. Calculate your sq.ft of the room (depth x width) Rule of thumb is you need 5K lumens per sq. ft. So if you have a 4 x 4 =16, you would need 80K lumens. You can go higher too with the light, some growers use >10K lumens per sq. ft.
3. If you are using CFLs, add up their wattages and multiply by 80 to get the lumens. For LED lights multiply by 100. CFLs are the cheapest in the short run for a small grow space.
4. CFLs generally run cool enough you should not need fans. The wiring looks a little wonky, but all a CFL bulb needs is 115vac house current, and 2 wires. If you have a CFL bulb that seems really hot, there is probably something wrong with it, and you might consider replacing it.

Back
Top Bottom