New Cure For Cannabis

Spliff Twister

A new statewide cannabis program is successfully weaning addicts off the drug by using medication to block the effects, emerging results from the study show.

But more resources are needed to deal with the increasing problems, experts say, with national hospital data showing rates of cannabis psychosis have doubled in the past seven years.

Hospital admission figures from the Australian Institute of Health and Welfare show the figure for cannabis psychosis rose from 655 in 1998-99 to 1025 in 1999-2000 and 1227 in 2004-05.

There are four cannabis clinics in NSW, in Western Sydney, the Central Coast, Orange and Sutherland.

Preliminary evaluation data from one clinic shows 76 per cent of clients were either completely abstinent or using less than half the amount they previously used when followed up 12 months after treatment. Twenty-four per cent reported small reductions or usage similar to pre-treatment.

The clinics have assessed 1933 clients and treated 1279 people.

Centre for Drug and Alcohol NSW clinical adviser Robert Batey said more clinics would open in the next two years.

Dr Batey said the use of medications that acted to block the effect of the drug had been so successful the clinics were looking at using them more extensively. He said there were increasing numbers of people with cannabis problems due to the potency of the drug, now frequently grown with powerful chemicals.

"There are more worrying conditions of psychotic presentations - these are very real," he said.

Dr Batey said the heroin drought and the increased use of the drug ice had helped drive up marijuana use with people smoking to "come down".

"People are turning to other drugs more readily available now and, being more potent, and they are getting some sense they are getting good value for the dollar," he said

Cannabis is the most commonly used illicit drug in Australia with recent research showing one in three Australians reporting use at least once in a lifetime and 11 per cent reporting recent use.

Newshawk: Spliff Twister - 420 Magazine
Source: Daily Telegraph (Australia)
Pubdate: Tue, 24 Oct 2006
Author: Clare Masters
Copyright: 2006 News Limited
Website: The Daily Telegraph, Sydney's favourite paper online

I tried the site to find the article. I was interested in what drugs they were using and the side effects of such? Do you have a link straight to the article? I couldn't find it.

^ if you need to ask its too late.........

smile.gif

Spliff Twister said:

Thanks Spliff.....

I've done a little searching. The article links lead nowhere really. They have a blog that I thought was a bit wacko :drool: and might be good for a slight chuckle:laughtwo:, but no mention of what drugs or links, just whinning about marijuana if you have some time to waste.....

We’re for Sydney | Daily Telegraph

I'd still like to know about the drugs. I'll keep at it. It bugs me. :hmmmm:

I like how they are hyping it as a "cure for cannabis." Cannabis doesn't need a cure, cannabis dependancy does, and what is more, you can't cure dependancy, you can only stop taking the substance causing the dependance. They are basically playing this off as those who smoke marijuana have a disease. I'm surprised more of you haven't been ranting about this...

And even more confounding... if these drugs are blocking the effects of THC on the system, what exactly are they doing to the body? Please let us know if any of you find the side effects to this "cure." The effects pot has on the body have to do with neurotransmitters and transmitter receptors within the brain. Now, personally, I see anything that's man made and fucks with the brain as being potentially very harmful. Cannabis, on the other hand, no matter how potent, has yet to claim a single person as a victim either through death or development of severe dependancy. If you are dependant on pot to keep you going, then the answer is simple: Stop smoking. Find a way to get yourself some counseling or friends who will help you through. Using a drug to combat the effects of another drug sounds like an idea some dude pulled out of his ass... Funny how so many chemicals we pour into our bodies tend to be used just for that purpose too.

Anyway, this drug can't be anything good. At least with smoking marijuana you know you aren't going to be susceptible to any "unknown" side effects down the road. In all honesty, it sounds like just another ploy by ignorant people with money to try and persuade other people that they are correct.

Its a proven fact that there is no physical addiction to THC. I will agree that you can still be addicted, but its more towards the feeling of being high than anything in the canabis itself.

Also, I'm guessing that the only "drug" they used was probably sugar cubes... a placebo of some sort...

Back
Top Bottom