New Jersey: Chris Christie's View On Marijuana

Jacob Redmond

From his first months in office, Christie condemned the medical marijuana law he inherited from Gov. Jon Corzine and has since taken a painstakingly slow approach to implementing the program. He had hoped to partner with Rutgers University's horticultural experts, but fearing that would jeopardize their federal funding, they backed out.

Even nearly five years later, only three out of six state-sanctioned dispensaries are selling cannabis to more than 3,800 registered patients, although some of delay must be attributed to the NIMBY attitude from local officials. A 2013 Star-Ledger analysis found New Jersey program cost patients seeking medical marijuana more than any other state after registration fees, requisite doctor visits, and exorbitant pot prices.

Patients, marijuana proponents and Democratic lawmakers have accused Christie of intentionally hindering the program's pace. Shrugging off the criticism, Christie has said he is trying to prevent New Jersey from becoming lax and loose like Colorado and California.

When parents Meghan and Brian Wilson of Scotch Plains in 2013 pleaded with the governor to sign a law making it easier for children like their 2-year-old daughter Vivian to partake in medical cannabis, he relented – but only to a point, refusing some changes. Later that year when lawmakers returned with another bill to revise the law parents said was still who still unworkable, Christie proclaimed: "I am done expanding the medical marijuana program under any circumstances. Here's what the advocates want: They want legalization of marijuana in New Jersey. It will not happen on my watch, ever."

In April 2014, however, he softened his stance somewhat. Confronted at a town hall meeting by a crying mother whose baby had just died from an epilepsy disorder, before they could finish registering her for the program, Christie said:

"If there are changes that need to be made that will help people who are truly sick, I'm open to making those changes. "But what I fear is that a lot of people use really tragic circumstances as an excuse to say, 'Let's legalize.'"

12769.jpg

News Moderator: Jacob Redmond 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Christie on the issues: Marijuana | NJ.com
Author: Susan K. Livio
Photo Credit: None Found
Website: New Jersey Local News, Breaking News, Sports & Weather - NJ.com

Back
Top Bottom