New Jersey: Fight For Genny

Jacob Redmond

The parents of a New Jersey teen are fighting for their daughter's right to take prescribed medical marijuana in school.

Sixteen-year-old Genny Barbour of Maple Shade must take four doses of medical marijuana each day in order to relieve symptoms associated with epilepsy and autism.

According to her parents, the marijuana has decreased the number of seizures by nearly 80 percent."We didn't see any seizures for eight days.

It was unbelievable," said Roger Barbour, Genny's father. She attends school for half-days to accommodate her medication needs. The special-needs Larc School, where Genny is a student, forbids medical marijuana on campus, citing a conflict between state and federal laws.

Under federal law, marijuana is listed as a Schedule 1 narcotic.

"We are fighting for our daughter Genny's right to take medicine at school. We believe that under New Jersey law she has the right to take her medicine," said Barbour.

Roger and Lora Barbour, Genny's parents, have filed a lawsuit against the school and the Maple Shade school district.

In state administrative court, the judge sided with the school district and the school. The family is appealing that decision.

14002.jpg

News Moderator: Jacob Redmond 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Fight for Genny - My9 New Jersey
Author: Web Staff
Photo Credit: None Found

Back
Top Bottom