New York

MedicalNeed

Which New York Politicians Have Smoked Pot, and How Embarrassed Are They About It?

Last week, attorney general and Democratic gubernatorial nominee Andrew Cuomo was asked whether he's ever smoked pot (he has) or done any harder drugs (he hasn't). The next day, his likely Republican opponent, Rick Lazio, confirmed that he, too, had gotten high. Neither admission was new. And, of course, nobody really cares — we're long past the days when politicians were compelled to awkwardly equivocate about past drug use ("But I didn't inhale"), although many New York pols still feel obligated to at least pretend they didn't enjoy it. Still, as the following slideshow demonstrates, others will gladly tell you about using coc*in* (Governor Paterson) or cooking marijuana into a delicious pot of baked beans (George Pataki).

Website:Which New York Politicians Have Smoked Pot, and How Embarrassed Are They About It? -- Daily Intel

Sen Martin Golden (R-Brooklyn) / Anti Cannabis

Quote-With medical marijuana already legal in 14 states, opposition to the bill is weakening, but it still makes a lot of people nervous. "We've seen it in California. It doesn't work in California. We believe, I believe personally that it's a gateway drug and it will open up for more usage of marijuana amongst kids, and lead to further drug use across our state," said Sen Martin Golden (R-Brooklyn).

New York's medical marijuana bill has already passed the State House and now has favorably cleared a key Senate Committee as part of the state budget. Millions in license fees are at stake, but proponents say that's not the reason it should be approved.

This is coming only months after New Jersey passed a similar law. Patients suffering from neurological and muscular diseases report tremendous relief from smoking pot and as a muscular dystrophy patient, Rich Morosky told lawmakers it's a godsend.

Morosky was in Albany Tuesday describing life before marijuana. "I would literally have to straighten my arms out, untangle my fingers," he said. "Once I got up to therapeutic dosage in my bloodstream, it's not like I'm getting all wacky and having a good time. I'm medicated, and this medicine works."

With medical marijuana already legal in 14 states, opposition to the bill is weakening, but it still makes a lot of people nervous. "We've seen it in California. It doesn't work in California. We believe, I believe personally that it's a gateway drug and it will open up for more usage of marijuana amongst kids, and lead to further drug use across our state," said Sen Martin Golden (R-Brooklyn).

The New York law would limit prescriptions to seriously ill patients and there be no home grown weed. Licensed growers and distributors would generate $15 million annually for the state, according to the bill's sponsors who said the time has come.

"The New York Law would be the most restrictive of any medical marijuana law in the country," said Assemblyman Richard Gottfried (D-Manhattan).

Advocate Jim Miller said New York could learn from New Jersey's legislative experience. "How dare we ask sick and dying people to come and beg their legislators for relief they know could be had" he said.

The law, as written, would put the State Health Department in charge of the New York medical marijuana program. Opponents point out the Health Department has a hard enough time preventing Medicaid fraud without taking on a controlled substance.

Website:NY Lawmakers Mull Medical Marijuana Legislation - wcbstv.com

Cuomo Not A Fan Of Medical Marijuana

Carl Paladino may be a (possibly) racist, homophobic, Manhattan-hating moron, but he does have one thing on Andrew Cuomo: he said he wanted the issue of medical marijuana to be put to a referendum, according to the Daily News. Cuomo, on the other hand, recently told reporters that under his administration legalization wouldn't stand a chance. "The dangers of medical marijuana outweigh the benefits," said Cuomo. "I don't think the bill passes." But is the risk of Paladino in office worth the chance at a legal smoke?

When asked about state revenues that could be generated by the legalization of marijuana, Cuomo responded, "A lot of things could raise revenues. Legalizing prostitution could raise revenues. I'm against that, too." A recent study showed that 50% of New Yorkers support the legalization of medical marijuana, but Cuomo isn't afraid of his stance's effect on his ratings, and plans to let Paladino continue to run his mouth all the way to election day. "The more the opposition talks, the better we look," Cuomo said. And if Cuomo does get elected and medical marijuana is off the table, the city's glaucoma sufferers can just find their sweet medicine on the streets.

NewsHawk: MedicalNeed:420 MAGAZINE
Source:aolnews.com
Author: Jaya Saxena
Contact: Top News & Analysis, US, World, Sports, Celebrity & Weird News
Copyright: 2003-2010 Gothamist LLC
Website:California Proposition 19 on Marijuana Could Lead to Haze of Complications

Back
Top Bottom