NM: Hearing Addresses Medical Marijuana ID Card Backlog

Katelyn Baker

Thousands of patients who rely on medical marijuana to treat debilitating conditions say they aren't getting the medicine they need. That's because of a big backlog in applications for medical marijuana ID cards in our state.

By law, the Department of Health has 30 days to approve or deny an application. Right now, it's taking about 43 days, down from 60 days in June.

At a hearing in the Roundhouse in Santa Fe on Wednesday, State Auditor Tim Keller said the Department of Health is still breaking the law and he called it a public health emergency.

Providers say the problem is only going to get worse as more applications pour in, and they say the delay is having a severe effect on patients who will get marijuana elsewhere.

"If they go to the black market, they're doing a criminal offense," said Duke Rodriguez, president and CEO of Ultra Health. "They're putting themselves, their family, at stake. They're taking a financial risk. And think about the healthcare safety. That product they may have bought from a street vendor isn't tested isn't safe."

In the past, the Department of Health has blamed the backlog on a surge in applications. The department says it's doubled the number of staff who process applications.

Providers say the problem is only going to get worse as the demand increases. One patient who suffers from post-traumatic stress disorder described how the delay impacted her.

"It meant I didn't leave the house for two months," Torrey Moorman said, mentioning the wait for her card. "I didn't go out. I went to appointments; that was it. I had no social life. I wasn't able to make it to functions for my kids. I wasn't able to get involved in regular functions. And I'm looking at this could happen again this coming year when it's time for renewal."

No one from the Department of Health showed up at the hearing. That made people angry. The department said it couldn't spare staff from working on applications to testify.

The department plans to participate in a different committee meeting later this month.

group2.PNG

News Moderator: Katelyn Baker 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Hearing Addresses Medicial Marijuana ID Card Backlog
Author: Kai Porter
Photo Credit: KOB 4

Back
Top Bottom