North Carolina: Mom Illegally Gives Daughter CBD Oils To Try And Save Her Life

Jacob Redmond

After months of waiting for North Carolina's hemp oil law to give her permission, a south Charlotte mom says she's giving her 6-year-old daughter a strain of medical marijuana regardless of what's legal.

"I was hopeful North Carolina would change its CBD oils, or hemp oils law, sooner," said Abby Childers. "But they're not. Betheny needs help now. I can't wait any longer. Our daughter is going to die and CBD oils are the last option we have. Why in my right mind would I wait when I have something I can give her?"

Though CBD oils can't get anyone high, it is still considered a strain of medical marijuana. There's also controversy on whether it really works. The medicine is not FDA-approved.

Abby gave the first dose — smaller than your pinky fingernail size — Tuesday night.

"We haven't seen any huge and significant change yet," said Abby. "But we are just holding out hope. We are not giving up. We will fight to the very end."

Part of the reason Abby is publicly showcasing the fact that she's giving her daughter this medicine is that she's trying to help change the law. She is in a network of parents fighting for North Carolina to let all board-certified neurologists in the state prescribe hemp oil.

That bill has passed the state House and is now in the Senate. If approved, it would replace current law (signed by Governor Pat McCrory in July 2014) which only allows four hospitals to prescribe hemp oil through pilot studies.

Over the past 17 months, WBTV has had Emmy-award winning coverage on how that bill became law and how it doesn't seem to be helping many, if any.

Abby said she doesn't care that she's giving the medicine illegally.

"This is, this is... this is all I have... This is all I have," she said through tears. "At this point I don't know a parent who wouldn't try it. You know?"

Betheny, who suffers from intractable epilepsy, was slowly taken off some strong pharmaceutical drugs to get ready to introduce the CBD oils into her body.

Miraculously, Abby says, just getting off those has made her daughter advance.

"We've always been able to sing a song to Betheny, 'You Are My Sunshine,'" she said. "Her father sang it to her as an infant. In the past couple weeks, Betheny has started trying to sing it," Abby pauses, "And now when she tries to sing it, she looks at us and at the very end she'll try to say, 'Don't take my sunshine. Don't take my sunshine.'"

14079.jpg

News Moderator: Jacob Redmond 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Charlotte mom illegally gives daughter CBD oils to try and save - WNCN: News, Weather, Raleigh, Durham, Fayetteville
Author: Molly Grantham
Contact: WNCN | About Us - WNCN: News, Weather, Raleigh, Durham, Fayetteville
Photo Credit: None Found
Website: Home - WNCN: News, Weather, Raleigh, Durham, Fayetteville

I've been doing my research, I plan on attending the Senate Health committee meeting. This department meets on Tuesdays, as of right now, there is no date set for this bill to be heard. I receive email notifications of the agenda /bills to be heard. I would be more than happy to keep anyone up to date, just PM me. Go Tarheels!

Polls show that over 70 percent of North Carolina residents favor medical marijuana! Now if we could just get our Elected officials to act how WE want them to.

Back
Top Bottom