OH: Marijuana Cultivation Site Approved In North Toledo

Ron Strider

State regulators have approved a North Toledo medical marijuana cultivation site.

The Ohio Department of Commerce on Friday announced license approvals for 11 Level II cultivators, which can have grow operations of 3,000 square feet or less. OhioGrow LLC, which has proposed a cultivation site at 367 E. State Line Rd., was the only cultivator in northwest Ohio approved by the department.

The state also will approve 12 licenses for Level I cultivators, which can have up to 25,000 square feet.

The commerce department had received 109 Level I applications, and 76 Level II applications. House Bill 523, the Ohio law that last year legalized marijuana for medical use only, left it up to state agencies to determine the rules for medical marijuana's cultivation, processing, and sale.

Eight groups submitted certificates of zoning compliance to the Toledo Plan Commission as part of the state application process to locate cultivating facilities within the city.

Along with the Toledo sites, Level II cultivation licenses were approved in Columbus, Ravenna, Wilmington, Dayton, Carroll, Oberlin, Langsville, Huber Heights, Monroe, and two sites each in Canton and Akron.

Two of the companies approved for licenses submitted several sites; only one will be approved for those companies. That means the state could, if it chooses, approve an additional Level II license, said Stephanie Gostomski, Commerce Department spokesman.

Level I cultivators will be announced "in the coming weeks," the Commerce Department said.

Application documents show OhioGrow is headed by Carl Boyar, a Chicago-area doctor.

The licenses are provisional, meaning the companies have nine months to get their businesses operational, Ms. Gostomski said. They'll need a certificate of operation approved by the state following an inspection.

"Once they have received that certificate of operation they can then begin growing product," she said.

Geographical location was not a factor in license approval, Ms. Gostomski said.

Warehouse_Grow_-_Adam_Glanzman1.jpg

News Moderator: Ron Strider 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Marijuana cultivation site approved in North Toledo - The Blade
Author: Nolan Rosenkrans
Photo Credit: Adam Glanzman

Back
Top Bottom