OH: Troy Delays Action On Marijuana Ban

Katelyn Baker

Troy - A proposed citywide ban on retail dispensaries, cultivators and processors of medical marijuana in Troy was tabled Wednesday by the city Planning Commission to allow further discussion when all commission members were present.

Five of the commission's seven members were at Wednesday's meeting. The commission would make a recommendation to Troy City Council, which recently approved a 180-day moratorium on any medical marijuana businesses that will be allowed by state law beginning in September.

The recommendation to the commission stated the ban was intended to "preserve the public peace, health and safety of Troy."

Commission member Larry Wolke said, "As a supporter of medical marijuana, I have a problem with this."

Commission member Jim McGarry said he "was not necessarily a proponent of use of marijuana ... but am curious as to why we are doing it (considering a ban)."

Patrick Titterington, city service and safety director, said that from a city staff perspective "we don't think it is appropriate" and didn't think the ban would be antibusiness. He also said there was no assurance the council would approve the ban.

Mayor Mike Beamish said that with the community focusing on addiction and abuse of drugs, "this is a business I would assume let someone else have an opportunity and not us." Beamish later added, "I understand medical marijuana and the value — at least the research is demonstrating that — but there's abuses going on right now. I am not in favor of adding to that opportunity for abuse."

Wolke made the motion to table the commission recommendation, noting that it appeared there would not be a positive recommendation to the council if the commission voted Wednesday. Both Beamish and Titterington are commission members.

credChristopherFurlong1.jpg

News Moderator: Katelyn Baker 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Troy Delays Action On Marijuana Ban
Author: Nancy Bowman
Photo Credit: Christopher Furlong

Back
Top Bottom