OR: Brownsville Rejects Request For Temporary Medical Marijuana Shop

Robert Celt

The City Council made it clear Tuesday evening that Randy and Gayle Simpson will have to wait until the November general election to learn whether the community will allow the couple to operate a medical marijuana dispensary.

The Simpson's and the council have tussled over the dispensary issue for nearly two years, resulting in an advisory vote taken by residents in May that indicated two to one that they did not want a dispensary in the community.

The issue escalated to the point the Simpson's threatened to sue the city and last July – when recreational marijuana became legal in Oregon – handing out free marijuana samples.

Most recently the Simpsons had requested the council allow them to operate their business on the south edge of town on a temporary basis.

They believe the community would more likely vote in favor of allowing the dispensary if they could see that the business would not lead to crime and other issues. They say other communities with dispensaries are not experiencing negative issues.

The Simpsons hired consultants to set up security systems required by state law and are awaiting a final inspection by the state, should the city change course and allow their dispensary.

Brownsville requires businesses to obtain a license to operate and that license requires them to obey all state and federal laws.

Marijuana is considered a controlled substance and is illegal under federal law.

Randy Simpson said Medford also requires a business license and recently amended qualifications to allow medical marijuana dispensaries.

"We're just asking for a fair shake," Simpson said.

But councilor Gary Shepherd summed up many of the councilor's feelings about the subject when he said, "I took an oath and swore to uphold state and federal laws and that's what I'm going to do," Shepherd said.

He added that he didn't appreciate last summer's marijuana give-away.

"I saw people smoking marijuana on the streets, I saw it with my own eyes," Shepherd said.

Fellow councilor Lynda Chambers agreed.

"Last summer's event was very negative for our community," she said.

Councilor Mandy Cole said she visited the couple's proposed dispensary and it looked very professional, although shed admitted it was her first time in a dispensary.

"I am of two minds about this," she said. "On one hand, it seems to make sense to allow a trial run, but on the other hand, two out of three voters said they don't want any kind of marijuana facility in our town. Plus, it remains against federal law."

16350.jpg

News Moderator: Robert Celt 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: OR: Brownsville Rejects Request For Temporary Medical Marijuana Shop
Author: Alex Paul
Photo Credit: Trevor Hughes

Back
Top Bottom