Oregon: City Says Smell Of Weed Could Get You Fined

Jacob Redmond

The smell of marijuana can be very powerful. So much so, that one local government is now calling it a nuisance. To allow the smell of marijuana to spread from your property to another, even though it will soon be legal to smoke it in Oregon.

The City of Pendleton, Oregon changed their nuisance ordinance, the same one that deals with loud music or barking dogs, to include the smell of marijuana.

The ordinance now says that if you allow the smell of pot to spread from your property to another property, you can be fined up to $500.

The city council heard one person who said the smell from a medical marijuana grower next door was stinking up his home, his car and even his clothes. We talked to several people in downtown Pendleton Wednesday afternoon who had differing opinions.

"I believe it's to each his own," Jody Collins, who lives in Pendleton said. "If you're not bothering anybody, it's not that big of a deal. There's worse things out there."

"With small children in my home, I would definitely want my neighbors fined if I could smell the smell of marijuana from their home," Katie Jones who lives in Pendleton said.

"It gives us some tools to be able to force people to figure out a different way to legally process their marijuana," Pendleton City Manager Robb Corbett said.

The ordinance is meant to prevent marijuana growers or processors from spreading the smell to their neighbors. But Pendleton Police could use the rule on homeowners or people living in apartments.

45139.JPG

News Moderator: Jacob Redmond 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Smell of Weed Could Get You Fined in City of Pendleton - NBC Right Now/KNDO/KNDU Tri-Cities, Yakima, WA |
Author: Chris Luther
Photo Credit: Aspen Public Radio
Website: Home - NBC Right Now/KNDO/KNDU Tri-Cities, Yakima, WA |

Back
Top Bottom