Outdoor plant to indoor clones

Absolutely, once the clones are rooted you can stick them wherever you want, indoors or out.

If you're planning on going hydro with the babies, you'll probably want to use Rockwool/Grodan starter cubes to root into; Jiffy Pellets & Rapid Rooter plugs are better suited for moving into soil once rooted.

Hope that helps... :) :peacetwo:

- CP

Sweet, thats good news. I have a bunch of rockwool, cuz I just started my first dro grow a few weeks ago. I might bring them in and put them straight to flower, idk yet. Its going to be my first attempt at cloning, and its still a few weeks off. Im doing all my research now, so I have a halfass idea of what Im doing when the time comes.

Nice, cloning's fun and mega rewarding when you start rooting your own lil babies... I love it :) Biggest tip I could give you with rockwool is just don't overwater them (*most* clones have to go thru a bit of a dry/moist cycle before they'll start sprouting roots, and won't root at all if they don't have to, like when they're saturated.) Rockwool retains plenty of moisture once they're soaked and drained, especially if you're using a humidity dome... which you should. :thumb:

Other than that, just remove the dome once or twice a day for a few minutes to vent excess humidity and let the babies catch a breath. After about 2-3 days you should be able to remove the dome for longer periods without the plants drooping. Usually within 10-14 days if conditions are optimal, you'll have visible roots.

Just avoid the temptation to overwater (like a lot of us OCD growers tend to do) or pull them out to look everyday; Be patient and let them do their thing. :goodluck: If after 14 days some still aren't rooted but they're healthy looking, I might give them a gentle twist/tug to see if there's resistance, if they slide out and no roots are forming yet I'll redip them in hormone (powder here) and stick 'em back in for another 10 days...

- CP

I know its mostly a matter of opinion, but whats better, gel or powder? I cant wait for this plant to get big enough to pull some clones. Ive turned into such an OCD grower, Ill just sit there and stare at my plants. Thanks for the advice, if I wasnt so lazy, Id do a grow journal.

From one OCD to another, there's absolutely *nothing* wrong with kickin' back and watching the grass grow (as long as you're kickin' back)... Just gotta avoid the temptation to screw with things constantly. :)

I use powder myself, it's a lot cheaper and IMO it sticks to the stem better, forming kind of a paste whereas the gel will want to run/wash off almost immediately. I have good results with the regular ol' $3.50 rooting powder that you can find at just about any Home Depot or OSH (or any other home improvement/department store with a garden section). Let me know how it goes for you when you do eventually take cuts, and good luck with the babies. :goodluck: :peace:

- CP

You seem to know whats up. How many clones I can grow in a 3 x 3 x 78 tent? Im hoping I can fit at least 6 plants in there.

LOL I do a lot of reading and have some good hands-on experience, absolutely, but I'm still learning every single day with these babies. As for how many you can fit into a particular space, that's mostly up to you and the strain(s) you're working with really.

You can choose to grow one big, bushy high-yielding plant or in the same space you can fit a few medium-sized, or several smaller (2-4 per sq. ft.) plants. If your plants tend to be on the bushy side, you won't want to crowd too many together, but if they grow in a nice uniform single-cola pattern with minimal side-branching then you can probably get away with fitting more plants into the same space and going with a SOG/SCROG grow.

Another deciding factor for some people (mainly medical patients) is their doctor or state mandated plant count. If you're limited in the number of plants you can grow, obviously a SOG garden isn't the way to go.

A good general rule of thumb is one plant per sq. ft., so you could easily fit 6 (or as many as 9) into your 3'x3' tent, but 9 plants won't leave you much wiggle room should you develop problems or if the plants grow larger than expected.

- CP

I dont think sog is for me. I want to get as much as possible off of what Ill have. I was thinking about pulling 5 clones off of her, and then maturing all of them together if I dont keep this plant as mother. I might want to harvest her too, and keep something more exotic than super skunk as a mother. Thanks for all the input.

It's sort of a trade-off really, *usually* with a larger plant (without training) you end up with a bunch of underdeveloped lower buds (popcorn), SOG mostly eliminates this 'waste' as you're mainly harvesting for a bunch of tops that'll produce good, top-quality nugs.

On the other hand, you can take a single medium or large plant, top it a few times during veg and LST the resulting tops, this will give you a good-sized multi-cola plant...

There's lots of options depending on your level of experience and comfort when it comes to experimenting with your plants, this is why I like to have a few extra clones on hand to play with. :)

Since both my veg and flowering spaces are extremely limited at the moment, I have a combination of both going on. Basically I'll start with a single clone per strain, grow that one up until she's big/old enough I can get at least 3-4 good cuts off of her, then into flower she goes. Out of the 3-4 clones, I'll select the very best 1-2 to be the next generation moms, the rest will be staggered into flowering at various sizes/stages of veg so in the end I'll end up with a perpetual harvest (every 1-3 weeks) with plants ranging from medium-sized mothers to straight-to-flower clones, and 8 different strains to choose from. So I'm *constantly* cycling my moms and babies but this way I don't end up with a mother plant that's too large to flower in my own space, as outdoor growing in my particular area is a no-no even for medical patients.

First off, sweet plants and clones. I think topping is probably what Im gonna do. Can I clone the top of that plant that I cut off? The eventual plan is to ditch my tent all together, and turn the closet that my tent is into the grow area. Thats a 5 x 6 space, and I think I can fit about 12 plants in there. I dont want to go over that, as where I live its illegal to grow any amount, indoors or out. I dont think Im going to keep this super skunk as a mom, as Id rather keep a pre 98 bubba as a mom, if I can track down some reliable seeds online. I should be pulling my clones off my skunk in about 3 weeks. Ill prob veg them for 30 days with what Ive got now, and then right before I put them all into 12/12, pull a few more, and put the clones straight into bud too. Ive seen a few other threads where people have been doing that. I want to do that just to see what I can from putting a clone straight to 12/12.

That's what it's all about, experimentation... :) Love it. And thanks, I don't have much but I'd like to think what I lack in disposable income I make up for with an abundance of personal attention & TLC. In the end, it is what it is.

Anyway, first thing, you can definitely attempt cloning the top. I say attempt because some strains are more difficult than others to clone from the top, but then again some strains are just difficult to clone PERIOD. As long as you follow the general guidelines (leave at least 2-4 growth tips, make your cut just above a node, etc.) you should be okay. When cloning from the bottom I just wait until the bottom branches are as big as I want the clone, and cut the whole thing at the main stalk since I'm not trying to sprout more lower tips in its place; Once I cut those, I want them to stay gone.

I should mention that most of my topping is actually 'pinch' topping, where I only take the very smallest growth tip at the end of each branch/cola. I usually start by pinching the main tip first, wait a week (or however long it takes for your new cola(s) to fill in), pinch each of those, etc. (no more than 2-3 pinches at a time.) You won't get clones this way but it's less invasive on the plant (minimal stress & downtime), and will force the lower branches to grow out faster; Those lower branches that you're going to end up trimming anyway are your perfect clones.

My earlier plants I only pinched once or twice, some of my newer plants I started pinching as soon as they were rooted/transplanted, and have been pinched at least 3-4 times before going into flower... LOTS of tops.

Sounds like you have a fairly solid plan there. Don't be surprised if your plans evolve just as quickly as your garden once you start experimenting with things, I honestly didn't see myself going for a perpetual harvest when I started this time and I sure as hell didn't think I'd be attempting a complete mesh-up of SOG and full-sized plants in a 6'x6' space and staying within a perpetual harvest timeframe. I'm loving it tho, it keeps me on my toes, plenty to keep busy with now and it affords me a lot of leeway to experiment & learn... and what a learning curve. Plus there's the whole HARVEST thing to look forward to... again, and again... :grinjoint:

Ive got all sorts of experimenting to do. I want to pull a full clones right before I put them into flower, and put them straight to 12/12. I wish I had space, cuz Id love to put the top straight to 12/12 under some cfls or t5s if I had room. My solid plant is slowly deteriorating due to heat issues. It was getting up to the high 80s in my tent, and right now Ive got it down to 80. Im prob gonna ditch the tent line the walls of the closet my tents in with mylar and grow from there. I should be able to control the temps better that way. Dont even get me started about the portable ac unit my boy got me, that turned into a hassle and a half. But, I know that it will all be worth it once I harvest my buds.

Back
Top Bottom