Overwhelming Support For Legalizing Hemp Food Sales

Jacob Redmond

A proposed move to allow hemp products to be sold as food in New Zealand is overwhelmingly backed by ONE News readers.

The New Zealand and Australia Food Ministers Forum will vote today on whether hemp seed oil and hemp seed products, dubbed a "new super food", should go on sale.

Currently, New Zealand allows the sale of hemp seed oil only and Australia allows no hemp seed oil or products.

ONE News readers have come out in favour of the loosening the rules on hemp, despite some varieties of the plant being used to produce marijuana.

Ben Blundell says the decision to allow hemp products to be sold as food is "an obvious yes".

"It's a very healthy nutritional seed that we should have the option to consume."

Sarah Symes says she has benefitted from using hemp seed oil products.

"I have an auto immune disease of have benefited from the use of hemp seed oil in my smoothies so I can only imagine how good other hemp product would be for my condition."

Dan Harman says the perception that hemp products are like cannabis is wrong.

"Looks like cannabis smells a bit like cannabis but you'd have to smoke a warehouse full of the stuff to get stoned. So, yes."

Kyavarnie Kyky says: "We eat poppy seed buns and it didnt make us all want heroin."

The hemp industry says it has been waiting over 15 years to get to this point.

Industrial hemp regulations in 2006 allowed hemp low in the psychoactive drug compound THC to be grown under licence in New Zealand. Since then, the industry says it has been growing predominately for hemp seed, which is made in to hemp seed oil for the local and export market.

A "yes" vote today will allow low THC hemp foods to be made available in New Zealand and Australia, says the New Zealand Hemp Industries Association.

The association says this would be a massive boost to the local hemp industry. The initial demand would add $30 million to the economy and this would quickly grow to $120 million once people had access to "this new super food".

2008-10-26-burger.jpg

News Moderator: Jacob Redmond 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Overwhelming support for legalising hemp food sales - One News | TVNZ
Author: Web Staff
Contact: About TVNZ | Television New Zealand | Entertainment | TV One, TV2
Photo Credit: Any Phyo

Back
Top Bottom