Parents, Lawmakers Push For Legalization Of Cannabis Oil In Oklahoma

Jacob Redmond

The Sooner State is one step closer to legalizing cannabis oil, derived from marijuana.

State lawmakers passed a bill Wednesday that would allow children with epilepsy to use cannabis oil that contains less than .3 THC, the chemical in marijuana that gets you high.

"It gives us hope. Now we have something that we can look forward to for our children," Brittany Hardy Warrior said.

For months, Brittany has been fighting for her daughter, Jaqie Angel.

The 2-year-old has severe epilepsy. Brittany says before cannabis oil (CBD), Jacqi would sometimes have more than 150 seizures a day.

"Immediately her alert had improved. Her seizures have reduced by 40 percent," Brittany said. "I received my first hug after cannabis. She kisses me."

Other parents swear by the oil, too. Robert Boren, 11, started having seizures two years ago.

"I have nose bleeds. I turn really really red. I can't explain how it feels," Robert said.

His mom, Shelly, says his condition can be fatal.

"He has cardiac seizures. He seizes about 70 times day and when he seizes his brain, it comes to the brain stem and it tells his heart that he's in cardiac arrest," Shelly said.

She says numerous medications have failed until cannabis oil.

"For the first time ever, we had a normal EEG. It has stopped all of our seizures," Shelly said.

Both of the families have gone to Colorado to get the CBD oil, but it was a step forward for them Wednesday when a majority of the house agreed that doctors should be able to prescribe cannabis oil with less than .3 THC.

Even the Oklahoma Bureau of Narcotics (OBN) supports the idea.

"This is not the legalization of medical marijuana. It's simply taking the particular chemicals in it and putting it in a medical form," Mark Woodward, with the OBN, said.

"It's all about helping children, there's no downside," Rep. Jon Echols, the bill's author said.

Rep. Jon Echols named the bill "Katie's Law." Katie is Rep. Echols' niece, who suffers from seizures.

The bill will now go to the Senate. If the Senate agrees, it will go to Governor Mary Fallin. If she signs the bill, "Katie's Law" will take effect immediately.

Gov. Fallin says she supports the bill.

14297.jpg

News Moderator: Jacob Redmond 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Parents, Lawmakers Push for Legalization of Cannabis Oil in Oklahoma
Author: Web Staff
Photo Credit: Herald Sun

Back
Top Bottom