Patented Pot? Not So Fast, Say Feds

The U.S. Patent and Trademark Office has removed a trademark category for medical marijuana after receiving a flood of applications from producers seeking to claim various products and brand names for the drug, the Wall Street Journal reported July 19.

The agency established the category for "processed plant matter for medicinal purposes, namely medical marijuana" in April, and marijuana producers responded by seeking trademarks for everything from names like Maui Wowie and Chronic to products like Canna Cola, a marijuana-infused soft drink.

However, an agency spokesperson recently called the establishment of the medical-marijuana category a mistake, and it has been removed. The patent office will still accept uncategorized trademarks for marijuana products, but the agency spokesperson said that no trademark has ever been approved for marijuana and expressed doubt that one ever would.

NewsHawk: Ganjarden: 420 MAGAZINE
Source: Join Together
Copyright: 2010 Join Together

* Thanks to MedicalNeed for submitting this article

"processed plant matter for medicinal purposes, namely medical marijuana"

I think they just realized giving out patents to tax payers would "Infringe" on the profiteering of their patent#663057
Cannabinoids as antioxidants and neuroprotectants - US Patent 6630507 Abstract

So my question is will the all ready granted patents in the now defunct area be honored.

I bet a lot of these patents were granted to residents in the Oakland area.
When I was there last year I asked the counter person about said patent and they said there was a local "Challenge" and or something he said he couldn't comment on any further.

Does any one know of any other patents held on Cannabis in the medical area and or something that maybe what he was referring too and or a lead to follow. I am merely curious and would like to follow up on it but am at a loss. PM me if need be.

Back
Top Bottom