Patient Safety and Regulatory Processes

PFlynn

I have recently been in contact with members of the community in discussion and debate regarding patient safety and regulatory processes in which the community can begin to ensure more deeply that medicine is produced in safe and sanitary environments. It is an interesting concept when discussing the possibilities of developing standards for an industry that is not clearly defined nor regulated.

I can speak clearly for my own experiences when I say it is imperative that the community begin creating methods and practices of preparing, handling, packaging and labeling medicine in a manner that is consistent with the norms of health standards worldwide. I believe clearly that the self-regulation we imposed at Tainted's "Compassion Medicinal Edibles" regarding facility upgrades and sanitary standards, packaging and labeling requirements, and medicine production operation methods, helped us in our process of dealing with the legal issues we now face. I believe we have been treated more fairly in every step of the process as a result of our direct action to maintain strictly regulated facilities and implement standards of production, such as labeling that included drug facts, lot numbers, dating, ingredients and prominent warning labels, and tamper-resistant packaging to ensure patient safety.

It is imperative that we begin to define the difference between marijuana culture and cannabis intended for medicinal use. Cannabis providers must have education, expectations, and safe practices in which to create medicine for often vulnerable patients. We must begin to define clearly what is expected of medicinal producers and dispensers and begin to create an environment in which regulatory and governing bodies can feel more assured about allowing medicinal collectives to operate, ensuring a path to safe access for patients everywhere.

We can decide, as a community, if we want to begin to develop sound practices of ensuring a system that leads to absolute safe medicine for patients, or if we want to continue to wait until governing bodies appoint "officials" with little to no experience in dealing with cannabis as a medicine to make the regulations and rules for us. It seems like a no brainer to me. Create an attainable system of checks and balances that is fair and productive and make a process that can be adopted by regulatory committees as sound practices for the use of medical cannabis. The idea to convey to society as a whole is that our main focus is healing through cannabis therapies and ensuring patient safety in that process.

I encourage you to look around and see what can be done better and begin seeking out methods of ensuring patient safety at every level. From cultivation, to processing cannabis from a raw to finished products, to handling and transporting, to packaging and labeling, to dispensing practices, to patient education of safe use, there are things we can all begin to do better to ensure patients are receiving the cleanest and safest medicines available. I look forward to progression and believe the time to act is now. We must quit being reactive and addressing issues only when they become problems. We must think clearly and envision the future of medical cannabis, addressing the weaknesses in the current process and create assurances that we intend to operate safely at every step along the way.

Mickey Martin
Tainted Compassion Director

Back
Top Bottom